Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Route 610 construction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Route 610 construction
    Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 11:08am
When work begins on the "stafford mall" and the widening of route 610 things will be more crazy than they already are. Is there any thought to moving the 610 slugs to either of the VDOT lots on route 630? Could either of those lots handle the volume?

jng
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 11:57am
That's what I propose we do. There are going to be no other options for the people that arrive later in the morning. It is already crazy at Route 610 as it is. I get so frustrated in the evenings just trying to get out of there. Route 630 is so easy to access. I suggest people who usually depart route 610 between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m., come to route 630 starting Monday, 9/23/02. We will need to get the word out to the drivers and sluggers so please help in getting the word out. People will no longer be able to park on Prosperity Lane starting on Monday so we need to get this started and fast. I can be contacted at tisa.shillingburg@hqda.army.mil if you would like to help pass out some flyers.

Tisa Shillingburg
tulipgirl67 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulipgirl67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 6:43pm
I am willing to give slugging to/from 630 a try. Of course, 630 is three miles further south, but the parking situation at 610 is bad getting worse unless you get there super early.

Is there currently any slugging to/from 630?

Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 10:04am
I am also concerned about the parking spots that we are losing so I have contacted the Stafford County Board of Supervisors (see the emails below)

Email received 9-19-02 at 9:45am
We are trying to figure out something to relieve the short term
problems. I will get back when I have further info.
Gary

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 8:43 AM
Rachel,
I appreciate your concerns on the parking at the commuter lot on the North side of 610. The current plan, which I feel will improve the situation is as follows:
As part of the proffers for Stafford Marketplace, they have agreed to make changes to the I-95 interchange at 610 and to Staffordboro as follows:
Commuter lot spaces: Before the portion of the commuter lot on the east side of Staffordboro is closed, an equivalent number of new parking spaces (150) will be added to the north side of the original commuter lot. Unfortunately the road behind Hardees is privately owned and those spaces will be lost soon. When Stafford Marketplace is completed there will be much more additional spaces that I am sure will be used for parking although they will need to use a different exit since they will not be able to exiton Staffordboro..
West outlet: After the commuter lot is extended to the North, we are working with the School Board to get approval to drive a road connecting the North side of the commuter lot with Doc Stone Rd. This will provide a back outlet from the commuter lot. The Board of Supervisors already has money allocated for the construction of this road. All we are waiting for is the approval of the School Board. I would recommend that you talk to your school board representative about the need for this road.
More Lanes on Staffordboro: Staffordboro will be widened to make
traffic flow easier to go to the East, West, or South through the
intersection. Their will also be a divider on Staffordboro so the flow from the commuter lot will be smoother.
Easier access to South Commuter Lot from 95: he exit from South I-95 will now turn into 4 lanes. Two lanes will be able to merge directly on 610. Two lanes will go to a stop light. When the stop light changes these two lanes will flow into left hand turn lanes which will take them to the South Commuter Lot. This will make the access to the South Commuter Lot much safer and I think will allow its better utilization.
Bus service to South Commuter Lot: The Board of Supervisors will be
talking to the bus companies to try and get bus service to the South
Commuter Lot as well as the North Commuter Lot. This will improve the
utilization of the South Commuter lot, especially for possibility of
Slugging.
Fred Bus service along 610 Corridor: A study is currently planned to
examine the best way to run a local bus service along the 610 corridor that
would go through the neighborhoods, commercial establishments and the
commuter lots. I have high hopes that this would be instituted by 2004, which may mitigate traffic and parking problems at the commuter lots.
I hope this answers your questions. If not please ask for clarification on any matters that still concern you
Gary

shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 10:31am
It's great to see the Board of Supervisors is being proactive (laughing out loud). What are we supposed to do for the next year or two? Come Monday, there will be no parking for people who arrive between 7:00 and 8:30. Coming earlier will not solve the problem, nor will parking across Route 610 at the "other" lot since there are no crosswalks and the driver aren't going to want to take us there seeing as it is always backed up. Our only feasible solution in the meantime is to try to get a slug-line started at Route 630. PLEASE let the driver's know that there aren't going to be as many riders at Route 610 between 7:00 and 8:30 because we will have no place to park. I hope to see you on Monday at Route 630!!

Tisa Shillingburg
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2002 at 12:21pm
How' the 630 lot working? I'd like to use it, but I leave for work (Pentagon) around 6:25AM, and leave the Pentagon anywhere between 4:30 and 5:30PM.

garypash View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garypash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2002 at 10:23am
Starting Monday 21 October their will be a shuttle bus running between the North and South 610 Commuter Lots in the morning and evening. This is a trial service to help the south 610 slug line get started. It will cost 25 cents to use the shuttle between the lots. After two weeks this service will be re-evaluated by the Stafford Board of Supervisors to see if we can keep it going and how much would have to be charged to make it cost effective.
The debate on the shuttle will occur November 5th starting at 7pm at the Stafford Board of Supervisors in the County Admin Building. Please show up if you have comments or want to express support. Go to www.garrisonville.org and click on the issues button to take a survey on the shuttle service.

GaryPash
gpash@co.stafford.va.us
www.garrisonville.org
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic