Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPlease explain HOT to me? I'm new.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please explain HOT to me? I'm new.
    Posted: 08 Oct 2005 at 1:59pm
Okay, I'm new to this board and new as a driver. I am glad this is here to help me get to work with out losing my mind on the regular 95. Now I have read on here that there is some kind of HOT lane being proposed. Well could someone kindly explain what that is all about. Virginia is so greedy and it seems like since they aren't getting any money out of the HOV, they need to do something to make a profit. Anyway, explain away...

Roni

New driver who's not fond of HOV backups. I thought HOV's purpose was to eliminate that?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2005 at 6:07pm
Here is a VDOT link for info Dont believe it. It is propaganda.

http://virginiadot.org/projects/ppta-I-95_I-395HOTLanesP.asp
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2005 at 8:10pm
HOT is very simple. Its the kind of corporate give away all too common in this country. Basically, you take a free road, deed it to a corporation for 60 years, promise you will build no new roads that would compete against the corporation, and allow the corporation to chage people 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to ride on the road. In exchange, the corporation extends this road 20 miles further south, reconfigures the existing space to accommodate 3 lanes instead of 2, and the corporation gets to charge users a fee for mileage depending on the number of users on the road. It is expected that the fee will be, at a minimum, 50 cents per mile during rush hour. Thus, Stafford to Washington DC will cost 20.00 each way.

Now to sell the idea, the corporation intially says it will accommodate slugging. However, the proposal is that there will not be human toll collectors, and therefore no real way to count the number of people in a vehicle. After implementation, the corporation will then say, you know what, we can't make money off this deal trying to count people, so everyone pays the toll. Thats the end of slugging becuase there will be no need to carry riders. Then everyone will pay this toll, and the commute will be two hours each way everyday. That's what happened in California and what is likely to happen here...
Roni View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2005 at 12:31am
Wow, that's some BS, excuse my french but that is just crazy. It would make sense to just get folks to pay a yearly amount instead of some toll that will only hold up traffic. VA state officials are some greedy pigs. I'm sorry but that is just wrong. Well I hope this mess never takes effect. Can anything be done to stop this? If not, how long till this mess happens?

New driver who's not fond of HOV backups. I thought HOV's purpose was to eliminate that?
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 1:20pm
I just want to compliment CallMeMrSLug for the best synopsis of the HOT debacle I've ever read. In two paragraphs, he described the situation exactly. I've never been able to do it in less than a short novella. Good work! [:)]
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2005 at 8:22am
Roni, it's too late now. The monster has awaken very hungry!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2005 at 3:28pm
Yes and as always, in the end, "Free America" will get screwed!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic