Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Closing of Parking Area at 610

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulipgirl67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Closing of Parking Area at 610
    Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 9:53am
This morning I noticed a sign posted at 610 stating that the overflow commuter lot on Prosperity Lane (behind Hardee's) will be no longer be available for parking starting Monday, September 23.

Does anyone know if this is permanent? Who is responsible for this decision? Where are we supposed to park if this area is closed off? 610 does not have enough parking as it is.

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 10:11am
quote:

This morning I noticed a sign posted at 610 stating that the overflow commuter lot on Prosperity Lane (behind Hardee's) will be no longer be available for parking starting Monday, September 23.

Does anyone know if this is permanent? Who is responsible for this decision? Where are we supposed to park if this area is closed off? 610 does not have enough parking as it is.

There's also a beat-up sign about a public hearing that is posted in the weeds along the "overflow lot" on Staffordshire. It's apparently been kicked around a bit and I can't read what it says because the last person who vandalized it stuck it back up upside down. I don't imagine that it bodes well for the parking situation.

Mike

Edited by - mycroftt on 18 Sep 2002 10:12:04
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 11:51am
Hi there!! My proposal is to start a slug-line from the Route 630 commuter lot for people who depart between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m. I suggest this because there are really no other options for us. They are closing those spaces I believe because they are getting ready to build a shopping center all through there. Route 630 is really convenient to get to and we won't have to sit in that evening traffic on 610. Sometimes it takes 20-30 minutes to just get out of the lot!! If you are interested in starting a slug-line from Route 630, please contact me at tisa.shillingburg@hqda.army.mil. I am going to try to make up some flyers to pass out starting today. I am at the Pentagon slug-line in the evenings between 5:10 and 5:30 if you would like to help pass out the flyers.

Thanks,
Tisa

Tisa Shillingburg
sgodin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgodin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2002 at 1:16pm
I'm a driver that would like to pick up about 7:30 for Roslynn. Is there a Roslynn line at Rt 630? Had bad luck the last week at Rt 610.

Steve Godin
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2002 at 1:22pm
Parking at 610 has been a mess so I've heard. I have also heard they were starting to ticket and tow people who park illegally. I am not sure if there are any Rosslyn drivers from the Route 630 lot at this point but I am sure if we get the line going strong, we will have an abundance of riders/drivers getting where they need to go and saving time in the process. My only suggestion is that people be persistant and show up at the Route 630 lot. I've had a ton of people emailing me saying they want to slug from Route 630 but they either don't wait for a few minutes or they just don't stop in because they are not sure of the situation. I must say that I've been getting rides to/from work at the Pentagon every day for the past two weeks and I am saving time to boot!! Please give it a try and pass the word along to the drivers!!

Tisa Shillingburg
curtisdt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtisdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2002 at 9:50am
I am a driver and would love to start using 630, but switching back and forth between 630 and 610 across from Walmart lot will not do any good. The "Slug Master" needs to make a decision and market it.

Don
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2002 at 10:06am
Hi Curtisdt!! I agree that we need to all band together. It is quite evident by the poll that the slugmaster put up that there is a definite desire to get the 630 lot going and I personally have seen tons of emails from people who want to start going there but are they are either too scared to try it or they don't wait at the lot an ample amount of time. I personally have been slugging from there for the past two weeks and have been getting rides to/from work quite easily. We just need to get more people to start coming there. I have put alot of my personal time and effort into getting the 630 lot started and several people at the 610 lot have tried to undermine my efforts by tearing down my signs and putting out there own flyer. I am especially concerned for those who use the 610 lot because they are going to start towing and ticketing illegally parked vehicles on Monday and that is never a good thing. I personally don't feel the Mine Road lot is a viable option due to it's location. It is not safe to walk there because there are no crosswalks and not many drivers are going to want to drop people off there in the evening because the traffic is almost always grid locked there. I hope you will be willing to give Route 630 a try, especially since we need drivers. What time do you usually depart in the mornings?

Tisa Shillingburg
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2002 at 12:58pm
I'm tending to agree that the best solution is to institute the 630 line which will provide an alternative for people who arrive too late to get a parking space in the 610 lot. Moving the 610 DC line seems like a real bad idea because of the confusion it will cause on the return trip. Since it works fine for the majority of the people why try to "fix" it by moving it to Mine Rd? What are you going to do when the main 610 lot is expanded - move it back?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2002 at 2:45pm
Thanks mycroftt!! It's good to see that others are seeing things clearly too. My proposal to use the Route 630 lot will work for alot of people because so many of us commuters come from Fredericksburg and Spotsy. They can pick up people for Route 630 very easily. Now the people who park at Route 610 very early in the morning are not going to have a parking problem so they can continue to commute from there. The people who usually get to Route 610 later in the morning can try Route 630 so they will have a legal place to park.

I have never agreed with the placement of the Mine Road lot since it is too hard to get to and there are no crosswalks. I complained to the Board of Supervisors two years ago when they first built it and explained the situation to them. It is quite obvious that VDOT and the Stafford County Board of Supervisors do not really care about helping us commuters. They just put the lot up on Mine Road where they didn't have to fight over land and they never even considered the traffic issues. I suggested several other ideas such as a parking garage type structure but they said that was too expensive. So that is one of the reasons I refuse to go to the Mine Road lot. I refuse to waste my time!!

Please consider giving Route 630 a try and if you do decide to come there, please let the drivers know too. Myself and several others have been successfully commuting from there for two weeks now. I hope to see you there!!

Tisa Shillingburg
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2002 at 12:12pm
I've posted this in other forums, but I'd like to know if slugs for Pentagon start showing up at Rt 630 at ~6:20-6:30AM, will there be drivers there at that time? Conversly, will ther be drivers picking up at the Pentgon between say 4:30 and 5:30PM? I've never seen any on use the 630 stop at the Pentagon in the evening.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic