Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHilda Barg now states not for HOT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hilda Barg now states not for HOT
    Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 7:48pm
edit Nov. 3

Based on the newspaper article, I agree that she is now saying she is against HOT. Still seems like a disjoint with the TV ad though

I changed the thread title.
Bob

OLD TEXT
I just saw a campaign commercial on TV for Barg who is running against Fredrick for a state seat. It doesn't actually refer to HOT per se, but it is very clear to me she supports it by saying she supports "extending HOV" to the south. Anyone want to refute this? Or is it true?

Her website says she supports free access in HOT for HOV. But that is way different from saying you are against HOT.
PopQuiz800 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopQuiz800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 10:04am
Actually, Hilda Barg opposes HOT lanes, and has since they were first proposed. Please look at this link to her Commuter Bill of Rights for details:

http://www.hildabarg.com/node/33

"2. You have the right to no tolls on Taxpayer-built roads."

Paying tolls on Taxpayer-built = HOT Lanes.

She has spoken out publicly against HOT lanes, most recently at the Newport Estates Homeowners Association on October 26th.

The decision to impose HOT lanes or not impose HOT lanes is outside her control -- and her opponent's control for that matter. The comment about guaranteeing free access to HOT lanes for HOV is in reference to the fact that they may be imposed over the objections of members of the BOCS and HOD. If HOT lanes are created, then HOV riders should be able to continue to ride for free.
PopQuiz800 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopQuiz800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 9:11am
The Potomac News had a story today about HOT lanes moving foward. Hilda Barg was quoted in it:

"Prince William Supervisor Hilda M. Barg, D- Woodbridge, joins Stewart in his opposition to HOT lanes.

Her objection is that people shouldn't be charged to rride on roads already paid for with tax dollars.

'They paid for them. Then you turn around and tax them again to ride on them. It's not right,' Barg said.

Like Stewart, Barg predicts that HOT lanes will diminish carpooling.

'You'll see people in a single car and then the lanes will be all clogged up again," she said.

I think this pretty well clarifies any questions about her position on HOT lanes.
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 1:47am
quote:
Originally posted by PopQuiz800
[br]The Potomac News had a story today about HOT lanes moving foward. Hilda Barg was quoted in it:

"Prince William Supervisor Hilda M. Barg, D- Woodbridge, joins Stewart in his opposition to HOT lanes.

Her objection is that people shouldn't be charged to rride on roads already paid for with tax dollars.

'They paid for them. Then you turn around and tax them again to ride on them. It's not right,' Barg said.

Like Stewart, Barg predicts that HOT lanes will diminish carpooling.

'You'll see people in a single car and then the lanes will be all clogged up again," she said.

I think this pretty well clarifies any questions about her position on HOT lanes.

Naw. Don't buy this. Before it was politically expedient for Barg to say this, the PN quoted her as saying that HOT may provide revenue to do other work and perhaps even release funding to revitalize Rt 1.

She is FOR HOT and its supposed revenue stream. She has also worked with the County DPW to slowroll the 234 lot expansion.

As to her bill of rights, she had 7, then took off the gas tax as it ran counter to Warner and Kaine's position, then added back a watered down version.
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2005 at 6:32am
I'm voting for Jeff.

From: "Delegate Jeff Frederick" Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: "'Hov 3 Slug'"
Subject: RE: Hybrid Exemption MUST GO!
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:15:51 -0500

I didn't exactly say that. First, the exemption is going away and if anything else is going to happen, it has be put through the General Assembly. The Feds have given a thumbs up on permitting these types of exemptions, but I think our current policy is outdated.

I would support a grandfathering, or a more strict definition of what a "clean-fuel" vehicle is (similar to the way California does it), requiring a certain minimum (like 50) mpg on these cars, or some sort of combination. I want to stop the crowding of the HOV lanes, and certainly, with the increased rate of hybrids out there, we need to stop this. At the same time, there is a benefit to *some* of these cars.

There's the honest (no BS or political-speak) answer. Obviously, it won't make everyone happy, but my job is to the best for most people. I think there is a good compromise out there and that's what I'm looking for.

Yet, as I've said time and time again, a primary focus of mine is to make sure sluggers can keep doing what they are doing in the most optimal way, and when not optimal, find out how we can assist to make it so. Thus, the hybrid issue is no where near my radar screen right now. I'm focused on trying to stop these HOT proposals from moving forward... this will be the latter part of this week for me (God-willing I'm re-elected tomorrow).

-JMF.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 11:49 AM
To: Delegate Jeff Frederick
Subject: Hybrid Exemption MUST GO!

Grandfather the exemption. NO! Those single riders are screwing up the works for the HOV lanes.

See the attached link. Please tell me this guy is making a liar out of you.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2913

Jeff - NO to HOT Lanes and NO to renewing the Exemption to Hybrids.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic