Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDelegate Ken Plum supports Hybrid Exemption?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delegate Ken Plum supports Hybrid Exemption?
    Posted: 30 Dec 2005 at 8:42pm
Ron Shaffer, Dr. Gridlock of the Washington Post printed a letter from Delegate Ken Plum of Virginia. In the letter Delegate Plum said he would support legislation to extend the operation of hybrid drive alone on the reversible lanes of Shirley Highway.

Delegate Plum also took credit for the original legislation that allowed drive alone hybrids on the reversible (HOV) lanes during rush hour.

I was under the impression that hybrid exemption came from Darryl Issa of California or one of the New Jersey Congressmen. They can be excused for not understanding the importance of HOV for commuting in that corridor.

But for a local elected representative to stick his oar in the water for a neighboring jurisdiction? The last time I looked, Delegate Plum does not have any voters living in the commuter shed of Shirley Highway. Why would Delegate Plum want to ruin something that works for people that are not his constituents?

I wonder if Delegates from neighboring jurisdictions are voting against Plum's outstanding legislation that improves education in Virginia?

dickboyd@aol.com
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2005 at 10:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by dickboyd
[br]Ron Shaffer, Dr. Gridlock of the Washington Post printed a letter from Delegate Ken Plum of Virginia. In the letter Delegate Plum said he would support legislation to extend the operation of hybrid drive alone on the reversible lanes of Shirley Highway.

I wonder if Delegates from neighboring jurisdictions are voting against Plum's outstanding legislation that improves education in Virginia?

dickboyd@aol.com

Following is an e-mail I sent to Delegate Plum, with copies to Delegate Watts, Senator Davis and Governor Elect Kaine.

Delegate Plum,

Thank you for the efforts in e-filing and support of education in Virginia.

This e-mail is about hybrid exemptions on Shirley Highway.

I disagree. The operation of Shirley Highway should concentrate on getting ALL lanes flowing smoothly. As it is, the regular lanes are wasted due to congestion. Our leadership does not help when they concentrate on getting more cars on the reversible lanes. In my opinion, the emphasis should be on getting more passengers for the empty seats in the cars of the drive alones or in ramp metering the regular lanes.

The hybrid exemption, in my opinion, only adds more empty seats and adds to the overall congestion and poor performance of Shirley Highway as a commuter corridor.

The last time I looked, the 36th District represented Reston. I don't know of any commuters from Reston that would use Shirley Highway as a commuter route. As a show of respect for your fellow delegates, would you please consider dropping sponsorship of the hybrid exemption? Or allow the Transportation Committee, via the Commonwealth Transportation Board, the authority to establish operating rules on Virginia roads?

If the Delegates representing the commuters that use the Shirley Highway feel that their constituents would support the exemption, as a courtesy, please allow them to introduce the necessary legislation. If those delegates feel otherwise, let THEM reflect the desires of their constituents.

As it is, you take on the trappings of a carpetbagger who sweeps in and decides what is best for people that you were not elected to represent. You are seen as pre-empting committees charged with specific oversight.

Thank you once again for the excellent representation for education. Your strong area of expertise.

I now live in California. When I lived in Virginia, I was in Bob Harris' District. I did admire the efforts from you and Jim Dillard.

Dick Boyd
Browns Valley, California 95918
(530) 639-2360Delegate Plum,

Thank you for the efforts in e-filing and support of education in Virginia.

This e-mail is about hybrid exemptions on Shirley Highway.

I disagree. The operation of Shirley Highway should concentrate on getting ALL lanes flowing smoothly. As it is, the regular lanes are wasted due to congestion. Our leadership does not help when they concentrate on getting more cars on the reversible lanes. In my opinion, the emphasis should be on getting more passengers for the empty seats in the cars of the drive alones or in ramp metering the regular lanes.

The hybrid exemption, in my opinion, only adds more empty seats and adds to the overall congestion and poor performance of Shirley Highway as a commuter corridor.

The last time I looked, the 36th District represented Reston. I don't know of any commuters from Reston that would use Shirley Highway as a commuter route. As a show of respect for your fellow delegates, would you please consider dropping sponsorship of the hybrid exemption? Or allow the Transportation Committee, via the Commonwealth Transportation Board, the authority to establish operating rules on Virginia roads?

If the Delegates representing the commuters that use the Shirley Highway feel that their constituents would support the exemption, as a courtesy, please allow them to introduce the necessary legislation. If those delegates feel otherwise, let them reflect the desires of their constituents.

As it is, you take on the trappings of a carpetbagger who sweeps in and decides what is best for people that you were not elected to represent. You are seen as pre-empting committees charged with specific oversight.

Thank you once again for the excellent representation for education. Your strong area of expertise.

I now live in California. When I lived in Virginia, I was in Bob Harris' District. I did admire the efforts from you and Jim Dillard.

Dick Boyd
Browns Valley, California 95918
(530) 639-2360

and here are comments for the intrepid readers of SL.C

Unless you are in Celegate Plum's district, do not send an e-mail to Delegate Plum. Send YOUR e-mail to YOUR delegate with a courtesy copy to Delegate Plum. Start the e-mail with a complement. Your delegate gets enough hate mail as it is.

Since you still live in Virginia you might be a little more civil about telling a Delegate not to muck about in things that don't concern him. You might be a little more considerate in how you tell him to mend his own knitting.

Calling someone from Virginia a carpetbagger is a HUGE insult.

dickboyd@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic