Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rosslyn line moving?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rosslyn line moving?
    Posted: 08 Feb 2002 at 9:28am
Yesterday, at 5:15 when I went to pick up slugs at the Rosslyn Metro, there was a police officer there stopping all the drivers and telling them that this line is not working anymore. Its getting too dangerous for the pedestrians, blocking traffic on Wilson Blvd and blocking the busses from turning down the sidestreet. He was very nice, but told us that we are going to have to move the line somewhere else. That he will start writing tickets for drivers who stop there.

I asked him where would he suggest that we pick up slugs, and he had a good suggestion. If you walk about one block down on the same road as Rosslyn metro (I dont know the name of the intersection) It would be on the same road as it is now, but just one light further down. Normally drivers go that way anyways. And we can have a line there. Did anyone else hear about this? I know it takes a while for the word to get around..

VaDriver

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2002 at 1:03pm
It is interesting to note that the slug line is being blamed for all of the traffic problems when there are other issues that aren't being addressed by the police. For example the State Department buses that stop in the middle of the street and take over 5 minutes to disgorge. This is the main problem with the backups at the time when I slug. Second, the Metro buses should not be allowed to turn across the sidewalk in the middle of the block. This is dangerous and I have seen some close calls. Bottom line is that slugging is the answer-- not the problem! If someone wants to contact me about this, I have been slugging from Rosslyn for years and would be glad to be the slug advocate.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2002 at 9:33am
I agree with Bob that the real danger is the buses flying across the sidewalk with little regard for the safety of the pedestrians. I usually am on the line around 3:30 and there are a lot more taxis and private vehicles parked along the street than vehicles looking for slugs.

Is there an official police policy to roust the slugs or is this just some overzealous rooky cop who doesn't understand what is going on? I would rather fight than move.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2002 at 5:27pm
I heard today that the Arlington police were handing out fliers yesterday (Feb 21) stating that they are going to start aggressively writing tickets for "illegal" parking, standing, etc. at the Rosslyn slug-line. They are trying to force us to move the line because of the backups onto Wilson. While it is theoretically possible to move the line, there are few places that would work due to the proliferation of parking meters.
slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2002 at 10:50am
I agree with what Bob and everyone else are saying here - BUT.... is it really that big of a deal to move down a block or two? it would make everyone's life a lot easier. And we wouldn't have to wait for the busses to get out of the way - which will make the rides even faster!!!!
Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2002 at 10:05am
Someone I rode with at the beginning of the week stated that when the slug line at that location was started, Arlington County issued some sort of permit allowing operation of a "Kiss&Ride" at that spot. Presumably, if such a thing exists, that's still on file and the police can't legally roust the line. Since, by and large, folks aren't actually parking, they can't ticket on that basis. Nor, AFAIK, can they ticket slugs on the basis of "illegal hitchhiking" as one officer threatened once. Urging folks to circle the block if the line of cars hangs out onto Wilson makes sense from a safety standpoint. Maybe if the chased some of the taxis out of there (and kept them restricted to their designated area), drivers could pull up farther.

At any rate, the little drive that loops around 1901 & 1911 N. Fort Myer would be a perfect place to move to. There's ample room for a substantial line of cars if the pickup point is along the Fort Myer Drive side and the drivers can come out and shoot right down toward 110. It may even be possible to put the 610&South folks on one side of the buildings and the Potomac/Horner/Tacketts folks on the other side.

- Eric.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic