Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clean Fuel Vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clean Fuel Vehicles
    Posted: 30 Sep 2002 at 11:43am
Bob,

Here is what's posted on VDOT's website:

May I drive a gas-electric hybrid car (such as a Toyota Prius or Honda Civic hybrid) on HOV lanes during HOV hours even though I'm alone in the car?

Yes. "Hybrid" fuel vehicles (i.e., gasoline engines that are assisted with electricity) that are registered with clean special fuel license plates do qualify to use the HOV lanes until July 1, 2004 (prior to the exception expiring, the General Assembly will decide if it is feasible to continue the HOV exceptions past this date). We do not know what the GA will decide. You may wish to contact your legislator if you want the exception to be extended.

Determination as to which vehicles qualify for clean special fuel license plates are made on a case-by-case basis by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. For more information on "hybrid" fuel vehicles, click on http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/emissions.asp.

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2002 at 3:58pm
I have put messages up in the past regarding my concerns over the long term of clean fuel cars on the HOV system. I won't get into all of that but I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the law on this and what people are being told when they buy one of these. All I know is that the current law expires in 2004. But I don't know if this comes up for extension every year or what. Also, I wonder if VDOT is keeping track of how many of these are in the HOV lanes.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic