Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDel Plum to extend hybrid exemption

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 11:50am
quote:
Originally posted by duckduffer
[br]Well Folks.. we need to post signs at the slug lots.. We need to pass out this info to our fellow slugs... When stading in line or in the cars.. take a minute to tell people... Even have the email addresses ready
You can find their address here:
Delegates - http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/MWebsiteTL?OpenView
Senators -http://sov.state.va.us/SenatorDB.nsf/$$Viewtemplate+for+WMembershipHome?OpenForm

Not sure who (and this is a shame if you do not know who you are voting for!) - http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform

Remember, while it's vital to contact your Delegate and Senator, you should also contact several others - after all, the overwhelming consensus in Richmond is to extend the exemption, and the one vote of your representative, even if you convince him/her, is unlikely to be enough.
glc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 2:45pm
As regards to the Hybrid exemption, we should not let the perfect stand in the way of the good. The politics is against letting the the exemption sunset. You piss off the regular lane drivers and you piss off the hybrid owners - this does not make for good re-election efforts. We may want to find middle ground in having someone introduce a bill that would grandfather in all existing hybrid owners and bar any new entries after 2006. Half a loaf is better then none. Any comments?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 4:44pm
You may be on to something, glc. Assuming that hybrid owners bought them primarily to get out of slugging (now, why would they do that if it's so good?), then they likely have enough money to influence legislative votes.

Once upon a time I thought slugs and hybrid owners would be a gool alliance against toll roads, but slugs thought differently. Again, if hybrid owners can afford to buy their way out of slugging, then clearly they can pay tolls. Once again, uncompromising attitudes by the slug community only backfired.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 8:38am
They do that because it's available as a no-effort option. You ignore the fact that carpooling, bus riding, and slugging, takes more time than the drive itself. A hybrid driver can easily save 15 minutes per trip simply by driving their own hybrid instead of a carpool. A lot of people will do that regardless of the impact on other commuters.
coulbc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coulbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 8:23am
I think Hybrids are here to stay. It really defeats the whole purpose of carpooling. All it does is put more cars on the road.
rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 8:24am
I'm on the HOV lane most mornings at approx. 6:15pm. There is always a back up in the HOV lanes starting near Woodbridge and going all the way to Springfield. Many mornings, at around Lorton, the regular lanes are going faster than the HOV lanes. I guess my point is how can the ever-growing congestion in the HOV lanes be ignored by our politians when making such decisions? What am I missing? The HOV congestion is only getting worse. I am totally baffled that anyone would even have to think twice about the hybrid issue. If the idea is to get more cars off the road to lessen congestion, how do hybrids and certain excepted government vehicles carrying only the driver help the congestion? My thought after reading all this is never to vote for these politicians again. What kind of thinking is this? It certainly does not promote carpooling.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 10:01am
I enter the lanes consistently at 7:15 at the Dale City entrance. Like you rale, I agree that this is getting worse as the congestion in HOV lanes is often starting just over the hill, prior to the PWC Parkway entrance. So those out there that leave an hour earlier and experience these backups, let me assure you, it continues for the later travelers too.

I also am curious as to the thoughts of Hybrid drivers and their reasons as to why think the lanes are now so clogged..... especially since the HOV lanes are fast turning into the main lanes.... Their commute is slowing down too..... yeah sure, it might still be a little faster right now-- but didn't another car maker just announce new hybrids coming soon--- hmmmmm bigger SUV size.....

It's a mind set change that needs to occur here .... I've argued this before... and the politicians who haven't a clue need to make the biggest mindset change of all!
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 1:11pm
I wonder if the exemptions continue for another year, will there be more hybrid SUVs on the lanes?

Any word on the tolls lanes? I wonder if the delegates just aren't going to change anything because the tolls are coming soon.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 2:49pm
Of course. Keep in mind that the HOT lane only affects us in Northern Virginia. If they can manage to string out the hybrid exemption until the hybrids are kicked out by HOT (unfortunateley for them they will not be able to do that), then they will have accomplished foisting HOT lanes on us, end the hybrid issue in N VA , and allow hybrids on HOV in South VA.

Great plan huh?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 4:03pm
Wasn't there a bill or two that prohibit converting HOV to HOT?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic