Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPassed and Grandfathered?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonjedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passed and Grandfathered?
    Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 8:06am
There were two bills, one from the VA House and one from the VA Senate. It looks like the senate has agreed to go with the House's version of the bill which included grandfathering language, not just an outright exemption extension.

As I read this, any hybrid to get a clean fuel tag after July 1, 2006 will not qualify for the exemption.

Also, there will be a new, dedicated source of funding for HOV enforcement, which I think is a first.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?061+sum+SB454

On and after July 1, 2006, license plates provided for in this section shall be issued with a new design distinctively different from the design of license plates issued to owners of vehicles that qualify for license plates under this section whose applications are received by the Department prior to July 1, 2006. The distinctively different design shall be developed by the Department in consultation with the Department of State Police.

1. For the purposes of Subdivision A6 of § 33.1-46.2, on HOV lanes serving the I-95/395 corridor, only vehicles registered with and displaying special license plates issued under this section prior to July 1, 2006, shall be treated as vehicles displaying special license plates issued under this section.

2. That the Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles, in consultation with the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board, shall develop procedures to ensure that all potential purchasers of clean special fuel vehicles receive adequate notice of the benefits, risks and timelines required for the issuance of clean special fuel vehicle license plates.

B. The annual fee for plates issued pursuant to this section shall be $25 in addition to the prescribed fee for state license plates. For each such $25 fee collected in excess of 1,000 registrations pursuant to this section, $15 shall be paid to the State Treasury and credited to a special nonreverting fund known as the HOV Enforcement Fund, established within the Department of Accounts, for use by the Virginia State Police for enhanced HOV enforcement.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 8:39am
Thanks for the link. The grandfathering only applies to 95/395. So 66 has another year where people can get plates after july and still get the exemption.

My opinion on grandfathering? It should be illegal, because it creates two classes of hybrid drivers. This is just a different twist on the original law that created classes of HOV users. One year of it may be ok, but if it goes on it will create all kinds of weird stuff. You old hybrids, better put a lock on your license plates. Theyll be worth $$.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 11:17am
Enforcement of this is going to be a joke anyway. I regularly see SOV hybrids without CF tags, and I haven't seen one pulled over yet.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 11:42am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]Enforcement of this is going to be a joke anyway. I regularly see SOV hybrids without CF tags, and I haven't seen one pulled over yet.

I'd have to say enforcement of SOV's is a joke, as well. This morning I entered the express lanes at Edsall at 0854 - the only vehicles in the express lanes were cheaters - and the lanes were nearly empty. Of course, the regular lanes were nearly stopped... I really hope that the next step is to reduce HOV hours on the express lanes to help solve the transportation mess.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 11:45am
NoSUV,
That's not the issue being discussed here. You aren't dumb.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 3:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]NoSUV,
That's not the issue being discussed here. You aren't dumb.

I agree. Why did you bring it up?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 4:46pm
If you want to prove me wrong, keep going.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic