Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI-95/395 HOV Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I-95/395 HOV Lanes
    Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 12:03pm
I had this question sent to me via email. Does anyone have additional information?

"Good morning. I understand from reliable sources (VA DOT, DMV) that hybrids purchased after July 1, 2006 will be issued Clean Fuel tags that are distincly different from the current CF or CX tags, and they will not be allowed on I-95/395 HOV lanes unless there are three passengers. However, these motorists may drive solo on I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road.

I also understand that current hybrid owners, and those who purchase a hybrid vehicle before July 1, 2006, will be allowed to drive solo on I-95/395 through December 2006, at which time another vote will be taken to determine the future rules for HOV lanes in this corridor.

There is a rather large tax credit that will be issued if a hybrid vehicle is purchased after January 2006. This tax credit expires in 2010.

Do you have any additional information? Is there any indication that they will strictly enforce the HOV-3 restriction for hybrid vehicles?"
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 12:59pm
As far as I know, current hybrids (current PLATES and plate style; applications received thru June 06) can drive solo on 95 until July 1 2007 only (current law). I seriously doubt that next March the legislature would say that the grandfathered hybrids had to get off the HOV lane prior to that.

And yes, the law specifically applies to hybrids on 95/395 only. On 66, all hybrids including those with the new hybrid plates will be able to ride solo until July 1 2007.

So what we have is the legislature is looking at it one year at a time. That puts uncertainty into it for anyone buying a hybrid for the HOV, as it should in my opinion. Having said that, we now know that it probably the intention of Richmond to continue grandfathering them until things really clog up or the feds step in. That is of course bad news for slugs. For all we know, next year they will say that any vehicle purchased as of a [different date in 2006 or 2007] will be allowed in beyond July 2007.

One other thing is that I dont think the gov has actually signed the bill yet, or that hasnt been reported.

Here is a link to the bill

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?061+ful+HB1248ER

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 2:39pm
I like that $15 of the $25 CF plate purchase is dedicated to HOV enforcement. I'd like to see if they enforce the "no new CF plates" portion of the law using those funds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic