Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 3:39pm
I have been using the Mine Rd. lot since the closing of Properity Lane and have had absolutely no problems AM or PM. I only used the shuttle bus 2 times since they ran it...and only for the purpose of giving it more riders. Generally drivers were more willing to go to Mine road than the Old 610 lot. I will continue to use Mine Rd without the shuttle bus because I don't think that getting a ride will be difficult...it wasn't before the shuttle bus...it won't be after.

Think!
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 3:43pm
When I attended the Stafford Town Hall meeting last month, only a handful of people came. When the BOS, unveiled their plan regarding Route 610 everyone agreed that it was not a good solution. They intend to put another traffic light on Route 610 and a traffic light off the exit ramp from I-95S traffic. This is only going to back up traffic to Route 1 and even further onto I-95. What are the vdot engineers smoking? To top it off, the BOS said that their "solution" is only good for 3-4 years. I'm sorry... whoever is in charge of the plans regarding the road system in Stafford County is not doing their job. When the shopping center right off the 610 exit is complete, traffic is going to be even worse.

First of all, there should not be two commuter lots off of 610. There should be only one and it should house at least 1500-2000 cars. Even better, have a ramp go directly into the lot. Unfortunately, our BOS don't plan for the future. I see the attempt to start the shuttle bus as a cover to make some people think "they care". If they care so much, why aren't they more widely publicizing their town hall meetings? What would it cost for them to put up a banner publicizing the town hall meetings? Last week I had to slug from 610, everyday I spoke to my fellow slugs and drivers about the town hall meetings - no one even knew they existed, many said they would have like to have gone, and many admitted that they are fed up with the congestion on 610 and poor planning for the commuter parking lots.

Did anyone see the article in yesterday's paper titled "Stafford shuttle scrapped?" In it Gary Pash, BOS, suggests that all slugs should move to the Mine Road lot. The fact of the matter is that while there some people willing to move to the Mine Road lot, many are not.

When exiting I-95S, gridlock already exists on Route 610. Can you imagine how worse it would be if the several hundred of cars, returning home in the evening, attempt to make that first or second left to the Mine Road lot? My time and my life are more valuable than that.

In regards to 610 versus 630, I use both. It just so happens that 630 is only 2 miles south of 610; they are not galaxies apart. I am a concerned Stafford County Resident and slug. Any suggestions concerning the 630 lot is intended to ease the congestion at 610.

If you are concerned about the future of the Mine Road, 610, or 630 lots I invite you to attend the next Stafford Board of Supervisors' meeting. In fact, maybe you would like to get the word out - that is what I have been doing the last month and a half.
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 4:20pm
Thanks Matrix for hitting the nail on the head!! I totally agree with you. Educating people about all of their options is the way to go because it will only help to alleviate some of the congestion at the parking lots on 610. Obviously the people who find 610 more convenient should continue to go there but there are a lot of people who do not find it more convenient and who deserve to know that there are other options available to them. Kudos to Matrix because she does care about the current situation and she proves this by attending the scheduled meetings.
Slugster View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slugster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2002 at 7:47pm
Just wanted to let people know that there is some new discussion on splitting the lines at 610, under the "Proposed New Slug Line Locations" forum. Please take a look and give us your thoughts!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic