Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OT: Red-light cameras

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT: Red-light cameras
    Posted: 12 Jun 2006 at 10:49am
I was told recently that they were for emergency vehicles to remotely activate them as they approached the intersection. Lights would turn green on that road to get the traffic out of the way for the approaching fire truck or whatever. I'm on the Smoketown Taskforce Committee and one of our members asked that and the response came from DVOT.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2006 at 8:48am
I've seen them (or something along the lines) on 610 also.

GMHP was hea!
happycommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happycommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2006 at 8:23am
Bob,

You are correct. I've seen these little cameras above the traffic lights also. By the way, the traffic cameras are currently turned off because the Virginia State Legislature did not continue to fund this operation after June 30th 2005. They still may be turned on if the funding comes back. :(

TRAFFIC IS HERE TO STAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST SIMPLY MOVE AWAY
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2006 at 5:42pm
I assume you are referring to the little camera like devices up by the traffic light (not on the side of the road like red light cameras). I believe what they do is look for backups and then if they see one, the light turns red. It prevents intersection gridlock. These are not traffic enforcement cameras.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2006 at 3:36pm
It's sort of off-topic, but dunno where else to ask. I had noticed recently the addition of what seems like red-light cameras in major intersections throughout Woodbridge. Can anyone confirm this? I'm also not sure if they are in operation yet, since I have seen cars go by on a red light but no flash from the cameras. I also thought there was a law passed in VA to discontinue cameras?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic