Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L'enfant to Rte 17 Stafford in the PM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuTaRiCh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L'enfant to Rte 17 Stafford in the PM
    Posted: 27 Jun 2006 at 7:44am
I have been a regular VRE rider and have slugged on those times (like today) where there are problems with the trains. I like it, but have been hesitant to do this full time because of concerns about the ride home. So far, I have Metro'd to the Pentagon in the evenings, but that is a pain. I know there is a slug line at L'Enfant Plaza, but the line hasn't really been rated and I just don't have a sense of how well it is working. I have day-care pickup duties at the other end and so want some level of comfort about how fast I can get home if I am out there in the 3:30-4 timeframe. Any comments? Thanks.
sluggie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 8:54am
The 17 line at L'Enfant never worked out. A few years ago, they tried to start one. We'd see 17 slugs out trying to get rides (I'm in the 610 line). From what I remember, no one was ever successful, and had to go to the Pentagon. Every once in a while, we'll see people looking for the 17 line since it is listed on this site, but it is non-existent. I believe you're stuck going to the Pentagon, unless someone knows of another location.
SuTaRiCh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuTaRiCh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 9:29am
Thanks. In fact, not only does the web site say there is a line there, but it says "now supported" in big red letters. Glad I didn't schlep over there in the pouring rain yesterday to take a chance. Given the number of people lined up at the Pentagon (and the number who seem to come off the Metro), I am surprised it doesn't work out... Does the 610 line at L'Enfant drop at the 'new' VDOT lot behind Rosner or the harder-to-get-to, always full lot on the north side? It might (almost) be worth driving up there.... maybe... At least I can get home on back roads from 610.
sluggie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 11:53am
quote:
Originally posted by SuTaRiCh
[br]I am surprised it doesn't work out... Does the 610 line at L'Enfant drop at the 'new' VDOT lot behind Rosner or the harder-to-get-to, always full lot on the north side? It might (almost) be worth driving up there.... maybe... At least I can get home on back roads from 610.

A lot of people use 610 who live further south. From L'Enfant, you can get rides to both locations (old (behind McDonalds) and new (behind Rosner, on Mine Road) 610 lots). I slug out of the new lot and it's no problem getting back there. I just ask the driver if it's OK when they pick me up. If they will only go to the "old" lot, that's no problem either, because there is a shuttle bus in the evenings that goes back and forth to each lot for 25 cents.

By the way, I believe that both 610 lots are "always full"...
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 11:58am
You can get rides to both the 610 lots from L'Enfant. There's also a Fred bus that shuttles between the lots and you can ride for 25 cents (I think).

From my experience it is MUCH easier and faster to get in and out of the old lot than the Mine Rd lot, but I live farther out 610 and would travel in the opposite direction from you (so I guess that makes sense). [:)]
SuTaRiCh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuTaRiCh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 3:06pm
Thanks all. I may try that out next time I slug... I would actually turn LEFT onto Mine Road when leaving and back way over to Eustace or something and down Kellogg Mill... It is nice to know it is dependable and doubly nice to know about that shuttle bus.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic