Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDenver Post Article on Colorado HOT Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Denver Post Article on Colorado HOT Lanes
    Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 10:53am
An interesting article that shows in my opinion that HOT lane enforcement will result in harassment of HOV carpools. How? Wait until the HOV drivers start getting erroneous tickes in the mail because they had their license plate videoed. Read article.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_4077527

By Jeffrey Leib
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com

HOT lanes on Interstate 25 brought in $42,000 during their first month, a little more than expected, but Colorado tolling officials say gaps in enforcement mean the state may be losing some toll revenue.

The Colorado Tolling Enterprise plans to meet with State Patrol officials about stepping up police enforcement of the I-25 toll/HOV lanes, especially during the afternoon rush hour, said Peggy Catlin, the group's acting director.

The toll authority opened the HOT lanes June 2, replacing a two-lane reversible high- occupancy-vehicle operation with one that allows solo drivers to buy their way into the express lanes by paying a toll, while preserving free access for buses and carpoolers.

HOT stands for high-occupancy toll. The barrier-separated lanes run for about 7 miles on I-25 north of Coors Field, with a short dogleg up the Boulder Turnpike to Pecos Street.

The toll authority recorded a high of nearly 1,300 toll transactions on several weekdays late last month.

Tolling is done electronically by equipment near 58th Avenue that reads vehicle transponders. There are no toll booths.

Motorists must be in the east of the two lanes to have tolls read, Catlin said. Conversely, HOV vehicles must be in the west lane at the toll-reading location.

Signs direct travelers to get into the proper lane before the toll-recording spot. State Patrol officers park on a widened shoulder to verify compliance with HOV rules. They issued 59 HOV citations last month, Catlin said.

In addition, 43 motorists were stopped and cited for toll evasion, she said. Solo drivers can get such a citation if they slip into the HOV lane before they get to the toll readers.

"There's a distinct correlation between officer presence and violations," Catlin said.

Vehicles that pass through the toll-reading lane without a transponder have photos taken of their license plates and are cited for the violation through the mail.

Knowing that the system would cause confusion early on, toll authority officials gave warnings to violators and even allowed first-time offenders to "cure" their transgression by paying the missed toll and a $7 "administrative fee," Catlin said.

She added that the toll operation is not slowing service for buses and carpoolers.

In June, about 3,000 buses and carpoolers used the lanes on weekday mornings, and between 4,000 and 5,000 HOV vehicles used them during the afternoon peak.

Buses using the HOV lanes were on time 99.9 percent of the time, Catlin said.

She added: "We're meeting all our commitments" to the Regional Transportation District."

Staff writer Jeffrey Leib can be reached at 303-820-1645 or jleib@denverpost.com.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 11:02am
Here at last is a real-world situation directly analogous (mostly) to what is planned for our beloved HOV. (THANK YOU, Bob, for finding these things.)

If the solution were really so simple as splitting lanes, why hasn't Fluor talked about it? It sounds like a not-unreasonable approach. If done correctly on our roads, I'd be willing to look at it with an open mind. At least as a system. I'm still opposed to special privileges available only to the wealthy.

Questions about the Denver road: is it HOV-2 or 3? Hybrids for free? Motorcycles? Per-mile cost? Is it 24/7?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 12:13pm
OK, I got some additional info on Denver's HOT lanes. Motorcycles are free. Hybrids have to have 2 or more.

Also, ALL vehicles including HOVs have to have a transponder. At the enforcement area, the HOVS are separated from the toll payers, but I guess everyone's transponder is read.

Also, I note that this is really small potatoes compared to what is planned for 95. $8 million total cost vs hundreds of millions. Also HOV2 and was very under-utilized pre HOT. Very few if any on and off ramps, which I think are going to cause us big time grief as the Lexus and BMW types scramble to get in and out.

link for video (do the low resolution one)

http://www.dot.state.co.us/CTE/expresslanes/

http://www.dot.state.co.us/cte/expresslanes/about.cfm

Will I be charged if I have a transponder but I also carpool or have others in my vehicle?
If you are carpooling or have others in your vehicle, even if you have a transponder, you must pass through the toll collection enforcement area in the designated HOV lane in order not to get charged. If you are alone and have a transponder, you will need to pass through in the designated Express Lane. If you pass through the Express Lane with more than one person in your vehicle rather than staying in the designated HOV lane, your transponder will be read and you'll be charged regardless of vehicle occupancy. If you don't have a transponder and pass through the Express Lane, you'll be issued a violation even if you have more than one occupant in your vehicle.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 3:01pm
Soooooooo, what happens when the HOT lanes (east) get clogged and those SOV drivers move over into the HOV lanes (west)? Traffic hell, that's what! We'll have carpooling HOV average Joes cutting-off and flipping-off the Lexus drivers who will be weaving out of the HOT lanes and into the HOV lanes at their convenience.

This is a well-designed traffic disaster in the making! There will be traffic court log-jams as mis-ticketed or mis-tolled carpoolers protest their fines by the dozens! What a half-baked, idea. The politicians who bought into this sham should be forced to drive these lanes! Man! Flash a little money at a politician and their IQ declines by half!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 3:20pm
Raymond. Agreed it will be disaster both for the volume impact and Lexuses getting on and off. But, the way I understand the Denver setup, the HOV people only have to be in a particuar lane directly under the transponder reader. After that the Lexii and HOVs can both change lanes.

But can you imagine 395 HOT: 3 narrow lanes. A BMW in the left lane decides the toll is too high and decides to get off. Oh boy.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2006 at 10:05am
raymond,

you disappoint me "their IQ declines by half"....ONLY half?

harumph!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2006 at 10:01am
Moving topic up
CMORE View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMORE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2006 at 7:34pm
Hi guys, I just recently got NAILED but this crappy system that is supposed to "ease congestion and improve quality of living"... Sheshh, Yeah right!! I'm not buying that BS. I got a ticket in the mail for $78 and they said to pay it of else they'll send their goons after me.. Well, I've always sided with the opinion that it is illegal to issue tickets without an officer. The camera is not a witness to the violation. Either way, this sucks for me since bills are stacking up.

I was always under the asumption that these express lanes were paid for by tax payer monies and were NOT private industry tollable lanes! I need to do more research but it seemed like overnight they just changed these lanes to fee-based and didn't properly inform the public. I always used that express way since it was opened some what 6 or 7 years ago? 99 or 2000? I need to do more research but I feel like I've been violated by this system. If Excutive director Peggy Catlin can buy a new house off this system then I guess it's working for somebody! Certainly not me!! F-the system and the all seeing eye in the sky. F-off! Trying to be cool but it's not easy sometimes.

I want Peace... Peace of Mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic