Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTired of choking on hybrid fumes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winglover1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 9:46pm
Most cars with a properly functioning Catalytic converter will produce the lovely smell you mention. Your car may as well, but the fumes are far behind you being breathed in by others, you don't know what kind of smell you put out. Kind of like farting in the wind.. Did I do that?? The thing is, they may smell funny, but they are producing hardly any greenhouse gases which is very good for all. Plug the nose or get one of those smelly trees and hang from the rear view. Hybrids are a good thing! They exceed the polution standards! Smell of rotten eggs-- Good. Smell of un-burned gas-- Bad!

quote:
Originally posted by Bob

I think it is ridiculous how polluting some hybrids are when they are accelerating on an entry ramp. I'm sitting there and all of a sudden I can hardly breathe because of the noxious SO2 (rotten egg) fumes. I look up and there is a hybrid (or two or three) in front of me.

If we can't get these things out of the HOV, at least we should force them to meet some exhaust standards.

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
winglover1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winglover1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 9:51pm
Ha! They should watch where they are going! Snicker...
Perhaps they should add a line or two to the Hybrid owners manual about being more watchful for visually challenged people. Perhaps a whoopie cushion horn for city use. That would go well with the rotten egg smell others have complained about...

Imagine seeing a silent running Prius driving down the street making farting noises... The laughter on the sidewalks would surely warn most visually handicapped people!

It was just a thought![:p]

quote:
Originally posted by Bob

Article in the B section of todays wall st journal talking about the fact that blind pedestrians cannot hear silent hybrids and they need to hear something for safety. I never thought about that but even with normal vision, I have been surprised a couple of times to look up and a hybrid was waiting on me and I didnt know it was there.

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
Flyby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 4:45pm
Excuse me for not reading through all the previous postings but has anyone else gotten the impression that newer hybrids (those purchased after 7/1/06) that weren't supposed to be eligible for the exempted 'clean fuel' tags with the emblem on the left are showing up WITH those tags? I've seen models of hybrids that I know are less than two years old and they have the old clean fuel tags enabling them to use the HOV lanes without 3 occupants. Are the dealers getting away with letting new purchasers use their old hybrid tags on their new vehicles? How closely does DMV monitor this? Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Flyby
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 11:07pm
Using old tags on new hybrids does not add to the number of hybrids using the express lanes during commuting hours.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 7:44am
That's probably Right.
It's the "cheaters" using the new (post-July 2006) plates that add more hybrids.

But there at least 10,000 of the old (pre-July 2006) clean-fuel plates in Va on hybrids that are on the DMV approved list (and on other types of DMV approved clean-fuel vehicles) that can legally be SOV on HOV-3. The vehicles with those older plates are in the HOV-3 legally -- but many commuters don't agree with the Va law allowing that. The exemption has been extended for a year in each of the past two years, and will likely end when the HOT lanes are opened. The news articles say all SOVs will pay the HOT lane tolls and HOV-3+ vehicles will use the HOT lanes for free.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 9:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE

That's probably Right.

No "probably" about it.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 4:29pm
HOV-3 will use HOT lanes free temporarily not forever. Lousey, part-time legislators saw to that a few years ago.
NCFBCommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCFBCommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 4:10pm
CF cars should not be in HOV if they do not have 3 or more in thier cars. If they were really intent on saving fuel they would be in the bumper-to-bumper grind using only electricity to propel them along rather than the gas. The only reason these CFers bought their cars was for the exemption and not any concern for the environment. Join a van pool if you were really eco-friendly

NCFBCommunter
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 4:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by NCFBCommuter

CF cars should not be in HOV if they do not have 3 or more in thier cars. If they were really intent on saving fuel they would be in the bumper-to-bumper grind using only electricity to propel them along rather than the gas. The only reason these CFers bought their cars was for the exemption and not any concern for the environment. Join a van pool if you were really eco-friendly

NCFBCommunter

Wow - you are just so wrong on so many counts. First of all, the Shirley highway segregated lanes were built as express lanes; it was a later development that provided an exemption for HOV. Second, you need to be HOV-5 to match the emissions of a hybrid - the express lane exemption was NOT provided because of fuel efficiency but for emissions. Finally, are you really so ignorant that you believe that EVERY CFer in the world (or even the region) was purchased ONLY for the exemption?
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2009 at 2:24pm
NoSUV is right about the express lanes. The "later development" he mentions was the oil crisis of the mid-70s that encouraged drivers to pool their transportation resources and share rides in carpools. The I-95/395 express bus lanes then became HOV lanes for buses and carpools during designated rush hours of each work day. Sluggin' began as a quick and easy way to form a one-time/casual carpool. The HOV lanes were originally HOV-4, and Virginia changed them to HOV-3 in early 1989. There are now several exemptions to use the HOV lanes with less than 3 people on board, and those include a designated list of hybrid vehicles having grandfathered, pre-July 2006 license plates. All vehicles using the HOV lanes now use them for free. When the HOT lanes are built, HOV-3 vehicles will travel for free and SOVs will pay the variable toll 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Now, that's what they call progress. [;)] [:p]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic