Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Line Cutting Couple at 14th & New York

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RollTideRoll1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Line Cutting Couple at 14th & New York
    Posted: 16 Oct 2002 at 6:22pm
There is a young African-American couple that slugs home from 14th and NY in the afternoons who think it is okay for the wife to "save a spot" in line for her husband who comes later. Apparently they do not realize that this is extremely disrespectful to all the people he cuts in front of. We as a group need to impress on them that if they insist on being together in the line, she should meet him at the back. This is a system built on mutual respect and what they are doing is downright rude, self-centered and disrespectful.

Telser View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Telser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2002 at 8:30am
I absolutely agree. To me, this is tantamount to the rare person who stands in a grocery store line with a a couple items or even a cart full, and then the spouse comes up with a full cart and incredibly wants to cut in front of you. Like the couple you are talking about, they can't be convinced of their unbelievable rudeness, however, you are right. If as a group, even done separately, you voice your displeasure, even though they may never be convinced, there is a high probability that they will stop such behavior because they don't want the confrontations. If you feel shy about saying something alone, speak with others in the line and ask someone to back you up, even if it is nodding and a direct look of displeasure on their part. At the very least, make the offenders uncomfortable. People like that continue with their behavior because most people bite their tongues and say nothing.
Pauwo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2002 at 8:38am
I agree with Telser's take on this. It is amazing how out of tune and self-absorbed some people are. It is never pleasant, but people have to speak up in order to effect change in these types of situations. Thank goodness the vast majority of sluggers are considerate, otherwise, slugging would be a very ugly experience. Unfortunately, just dealing with one person like this can put a crimp in your day, but in my view, no matter what the outcome, speaking up is the way to go. Don't make it easy for them. Like Telser said, make them uncomfortable.
Good luck!!
Robb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2002 at 9:59am
I also agree that we must speak up. Just be prepared that you most likely will get a major attitude from these people when saying something about their behavior. People who act in these ways almost ALWAYS have a major attitude and will not like being approached about their rudeness, however, it is worth it because even with their attitudes, it does have an impact on them and most times they either go away or change their behavior (not because you have convinced them that they are inconsiderate, but as was stated, because now "they have been caught" and do not like to be confronted.
lordscarlet View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2002 at 8:44am
Sometimes this board amazes me. Just mention to them that they should meet in the back of the line. Those on this board may be savvy to the rules, but others are not necessarily so informed. I can tell you that when I first started slugging I did the same thing your couple at 14th is doing. Once one person mentioned it to my fiance and I we have not done it since. We did not get an attitude with the individual that spoke to us and we were not self-absorbed in continuing to do it. Please try not to assume such horrible things of human nature so often.

Tilmer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2002 at 8:12am
Believe me, your decent and courteous behavior is not the norm. I used to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but human nature more often exhibits defensiveness on the part of people who are behaving in such manners. No one is assuming - it's living life and experiencing it.

quote:

Sometimes this board amazes me. Just mention to them that they should meet in the back of the line. Those on this board may be savvy to the rules, but others are not necessarily so informed. I can tell you that when I first started slugging I did the same thing your couple at 14th is doing. Once one person mentioned it to my fiance and I we have not done it since. We did not get an attitude with the individual that spoke to us and we were not self-absorbed in continuing to do it. Please try not to assume such horrible things of human nature so often.

Monbe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2002 at 8:18am
If this board amazes you, you are either very young, have not been out in the world long, or are just being defensive about holding a place in line (we learn not to do that in elementary school). You're naivete is showing!!

[quote from lordscarlet]

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2002 at 10:02am
You never know how people are going to react. You could get a polite smile and a thank you to a complete altercation on your hands. I think having a couple of people on your side will help convince the couple that it is unacceptable behavior. Good luck and be careful.

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2002 at 2:24pm
Just be polite and explain that there is no "saving" a place in line for others who have not yet showed up - everyone who newly arrives at the line takes their rightful place at the end. If they don't want to accept this everyone else should start "saving" spots for each other to ensure the offenders always remain at the end of the line - maybe then they will just go away.
bipinkk1965 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipinkk1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2002 at 3:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by RollTideRoll1111
[br]There is a young African-American couple that slugs home from 14th and NY in the afternoons who think it is okay for the wife to "save a spot" in line for her husband who comes later. Apparently they do not realize that this is extremely disrespectful to all the people he cuts in front of. We as a group need to impress on them that if they insist on being together in the line, she should meet him at the back. This is a system built on mutual respect and what they are doing is downright rude, self-centered and disrespectful.

Bipin K karki
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic