Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTrucks and HOT lanes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trucks and HOT lanes
    Posted: 16 Oct 2006 at 9:31am
Recently, I was looking at all the trucks in the regular lanes and was thinking, man what a mess that will be after HOT is implemented when all the trucks want to get in the HOV lane. The companies will of course pay any toll to move their stuff faster. That level of ability to pay is what is going to drive the economics. End of HOV as we know it.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2006 at 1:12pm
That's a reasonable assumption, and not the intent of the HOV/HOT lanes. End result: tolls get passed on through the system and consumers pay higher prices for any goods trucked in. As I have said, in the end we will all pay!
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 12:42pm
Makes me wonder sometimes why the HOV rules up here allow trucks whereas in Hampton Roads they are expressly forbidden...
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 9:21am
"Large trucks" are not going to be allowed in the toll lanes, per Fluor's initial two proposals. Which means that in the off-hours, even more of them will be packed into the regular lanes instead of spread across all five lanes.

I don't think the lack of trucks is a benefit for anyone except the lucky few who can afford to pay for the luxury lanes.

Remember: schoolteachers, firemen, and retirees need not worry about these lanes -- the system is designed specifically to price them out. Too bad they are going to be paying taxes to build them first!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 3:58pm
Are large 18-wheelers really a problem in the HOV lanes?
I surely don't see any when I use the lanes in the mornings and afternoons from Burke/Springfield.
Is it a south-of-the-Occoquan thing, but don't they have to stop at the truck scales station near Dumfrees?
Don't understand your concerns here. Please explain.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2006 at 9:12am
I don't know why they won't be allowed, but the proposals clearly state it.

Safety reasons? Like those would sway these companies? They are already going to be reducing the shoulders to 2' and 9'. They are going to be adding dozens of new entrances and exits with cars sliding in and out of the toll lanes all over the place.

If I had to guess, it is because trucking companies will gladly, happily, eagerly pay almost any toll to speed deliveries. The big trucks would swamp the lanes, but would produce less revenue per hour of use.

So Fluor and VDOT are going to push the big trucks into the Po' Peoples Lanes.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2006 at 10:16am

Sponge is correct. This recent VDOT presentation says no trucks in 95 HOT lanes.

(recommend you download rather than just open it)

http://hac.state.va.us/Subcommittees/Transportation/2006/10-16-06/I95-395_HOT_Lanes--10-16-06--print.pdf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic