Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11-10 -- Backup on 395 Regular Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11-10 -- Backup on 395 Regular Lanes
    Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 4:20pm
Hi. Jody here. The regular lanes are backed up starting at King Street all the way South.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 9:17am
We have VDOT to thank for that. When did HOV open back up anyways? I went to dinner with my wife at 6:30 and the HOV lanes were still closed.
sable2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sable2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 9:41am
HOV didn't open until around 6:50 (I think). I don't remember much except seeing red when I realized HOV was still closed at 6:20. I saw VDOT trucks heading towards the Spg'field entrance at 6:40. It wasn't until I managed to get 2 lanes over from the far left that I saw "Open to all Traffic". Once I was able to get on, it was the fastest I've ever seen HOV move South. I did near 80 the entire way and didn't have to bob-n-weave to do it. Why can't HOV be like that every day, at least past Spg'field? Oh.. that's right - speed limits. Well I guess everyone had had it up to their "limit" waiting to grow old in stand-still traffic".

Enjoy!
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2006 at 8:56am
I mentioned in the car the previous night that I thought tomorrow was going to be a bad commute with the HOV lanes closed. The driver and the other rider said they didn't think it would be bad. Wonder how long they sat on 395 Friday night? Makes me appreciate the slug line all the more for the easy commute I have.
SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2006 at 9:25am
Flew in from Florida to Virginia in less than 2 hours on Friday....took four additional hours to get from Dulles to Stafford (Rt. 17) Unbelievable!!!! I am a firm supporter of USMC but don't think they used common sense when making this decision!
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2006 at 1:54pm
It's VDOT that made that bone headed move. I'm sure the USMC asked for exclusive use of the HOV lanes for their bus convoys, but I'm pretty sure VDOT decided that this was the right thing to do. It was frustrating and disgusting to be stuck in traffic and see no vehicles in the HOV lanes. Cops were planted at openings in the HOV lanes because I'm sure they thought that we would have jumped if given the chance.

VDOT is also guilty of doing the flip side -- opening up HOV to all cars. They do this when the regular lanes are stopped because of an accident. When it's snowing during rush hour, VDOT will open up the HOV in the guise of moving more people through traffic. What they don't realize is that they've taken the incentive away for drivers to pick up slugs. So, you've got more cars on the roads and less throughput of people. I've written Pierce Homer about this and just got the typical (politically correct) response. His stance on HOT is even more disheartening.

Goober
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2006 at 2:00pm
This will be my first upcoming winter slugging and i hope that doesn't happen and I end up stuck in arlington.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 9:25am
If it looks like snow, telecommute. Especially if you have kids in the PWC schools. They are renowned for closing at the first hint of snow, and also of announcing a closing AFTER you have made it to DC. Then you have to leave work, take Metro to Springfield and wait (a looooong time) for an Omniride bus.

One time I did not make it back until 1:00 p.m. Boy, was the school principal mad when I showed up! She stood there in the bright sunshine and cursed me out. [;)]
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 10:08am
Spongebob, sounds like the school my wife teaches at in PWC (Vaughn).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic