Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woodbridge to Crystal City

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woodbridge to Crystal City
    Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 11:35pm

I am in the military (will work in Crystal City....this April) and am thinking of moving to Woodbridge. If you are willing, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on living in Woodbridge in general and commuting. Right now, slugging appears to be the most efficient option to get to and from Crystal City, but I’m not sure how to estimate how long a commute might take if my goal was to arrive at CC around 0700 or so. Specifically, how long would it take to get to the slug center, how long would I typically wait at the center, and then how long would it take to get to CC on average? I was told by someone who lives in Stafford, VA that VRE trains are “bumped” by other trains. Has this been your experience as well? Thank you for taking the time to read my note and for any information you feel comfortable sharing.

Sincerely,
Arvis
AKA "Slug Under Instruction"
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 12:28pm
Slugging from Potomac Mills to Crystal City is between 25-30 minutes from my experience. I live near dumfries and it takes me about 10 minutes to get to that lot in the morning. As for a wait for a ride, it varies from 0 to 30 minutes, depending when you come and if you have bad luck. If you were a driver, your wait would be very short at that lot, between 0 and 3 minutes I would imagine.

The VRE has made great improvements this summer/fall with CSX, but will get "bumped" in favor of other CSX trains. When I took the VRE, my door to door commute was between 58 and 63 minutes on average.
adowens View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 4:28pm
Thanks darkprime.
adowens View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2006 at 10:54pm
Does anyone else have experience with the woodbridge to crystal city commute? There is quite a bit of spam on the site, so I don't feel too bad "bumping" this up.
japarks2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japarks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 12:45pm
adowens,

I slug from Horner Road to Crystal City every morning. I only live about five minutes from the lot and it takes about 25 minutes to get from Horner to CC. I arrive at the lot around 5:35, with the goal of being in CC NLT 6:30. I wait on avearge 10-15 minutes for a ride.

I have never ridden the VRE, so I can't comment on it. I have been slugging for about 4 months and believe that it is the best and most efficient way for me to get to work.
OPfan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OPfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2006 at 12:26pm
I too drive/slug from Horner. From my home it's about 20 minutes to the lot. I arrive at Horner between 6:20-6:30 and I'm usually in CC (behind my desk) by 7:00.

My experience with VRE from Manassas Park to CC is generally positive. My total trip is about 10 minutes longer (1:10), but fairly relaxing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic