Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTexas Rebellion Against Privatization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 12:54pm
Sorry wrong link, here is the website of a watchdog group on the TTC, www.corridorwatch.org/ .
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 11:24am
FYI. It seems the Stafford County Supervisors buy into the HOT lanes as "the only solution" to NOVA's traffic problems. Got this from one supervisor last week in a discussion. Was a point of disagreement betwixt us.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 9:25am
Getting the same from Fairfax Supervisors and State Senator Davis. And her hubby Congressman Davis.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 1:47pm
Some "solution"... Beyond allowing people with "excess" income to commute faster, I don't see how this helps anything. If, as postulated here that "free for HOV" is not feasible, it would make the traffic situation much worse. I also wonder how many hybrid drivers will opt to ride a bus instead of driving solo? Imagine the environmental impact of 10,000 hybrids suddenly adding to the regular lane congestion.

What if there aren't enough people willing to pay $500(using $25 each way x 20 days) per month to drive in them? Ever heard of the term albatros? A giant, mocking, albatros at that.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 1:26pm
I don't follow why it should be assumed that "free for HOV" is not feasible, the only thing that keeps SOV's off the HOVs now is enforcement, it's not like we have to be inspected or processed before entering the highway...direct HOT traffic through the toll gates and monitor the HOV traffic ....you could do this VERY easily at entry and exit. The toll taking company has a monetary interest in supporting enforcement.
I don't like the HOT concept much .... afterall I started smoking when I could get cigerettes for 50cents a pack and didn't quit smoking until the price of a pack was over $5 - and it wasn't the cost that made me quit. HOTs will not change driving behavior but it may get us some revenue to work on a solution.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 1:38pm
Whatever profit is generated will first go to wealthy investors around the world for many many years. Then, if and when the HOT companies and their cronies in Richmond decide it, they may add some pavement. Don't hold your breath.
achall View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 3:29pm
If the HOT lanes go in, the cost to commute will become a "tax burden" to the many companies/firms in DC who will anny up the cost to commute as a benefit for certain employees which will increase the amount of commuters in the HOT which of course will increase the cost.....

Wonder if the cost to commute on the HOT will be tax deductible or exempt?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 3:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]Some "solution"... Beyond allowing people with "excess" income to commute faster, I don't see how this helps anything. If, as postulated here that "free for HOV" is not feasible, it would make the traffic situation much worse. I also wonder how many hybrid drivers will opt to ride a bus instead of driving solo? Imagine the environmental impact of 10,000 hybrids suddenly adding to the regular lane congestion.

What if there aren't enough people willing to pay $500(using $25 each way x 20 days) per month to drive in them? Ever heard of the term albatros? A giant, mocking, albatros at that.

The solution is two-fold. First, VA legislators get to go back to the taxpayer well for additional funding for road projects, only these tax revenues are disguised as "usage fees." It makes that bitter pill go down more smoothly when they avoid the "T" word. Second, VA legislators look like heros for providing "commuting options" and finding "innovative revenue sources" while promoting "public-private partnerships" all the while seemingly avoiding new taxes. Do you see the spin yet? Its a snow job and we (you and I, fellow taxpayers) are getting burried!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic