Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Slug for Rt 630

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Slug for Rt 630
    Posted: 28 Oct 2002 at 2:32pm
I'm new to slugging and have been reading some of the stuff on this site. It's been very informative.

I've tried rt 610 and had no problems, in fact, quite pleased.

I can use rt 630 as well...6 of 1, half dozen of another for me from my house. I have, however, seen some posts that indicate rides can be scarce at rt 630. I'd like to leave 0600 enroute to Pentagon, and leave Pentagon around 1545 - 1600.

My question is, are there rides available from rt 630 that early in the morning, and from Pentagon around a quarter to 4? If so, I'll be happy to contribute to relieving the congestion at rt 610, and use 630 instead.

Any feedback?

DonC
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2002 at 4:00pm
Don,

There is definitely a strong interest to slug from 630. I posted a sign at the Pentagon and just 5 minutes ago I received a call from someone interested in driving or slugging the same times that you commute.

However, the 630 line has not hit it off or become consistant as 610. Going into work can be a challenge versus coming home is not a problem. I think the word needs to be spread around. Perhaps with your help we can get more people interested.
Don Campbell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2002 at 4:08pm
Thanks, Matrix

I'll try rt 630 this week, starting tomorrow morning between 0545 and 0600.

DonC
Don Campbell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2002 at 7:59am
Well, I guess rt 630 isn't ready for Prime Time yet. That place looked like a ghost town at 0600 this morning.
People I talked to there that were waiting for buses and van pools didn't even know there was supposed to be a slug line there.

If we could get some drivers there at that time, I believe the slugs would show up.

Oh well, back to 610. no prob.

DonC
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2002 at 8:08am
That's the same problem I had. I understand the line actually starts about 7:30/8:00 AM -- too late for me. I tried it for 2 weeks, showing up at about 6:10AM, and it didn't work out very well. I figure I'll wait until the spring and see how it's doing then.

I understand it is doing pretty well for those people that don't need a ride until about 8am (and all the more power to them for that, I wish I was one of them). But I can't afford to show up at 6:15, wait 30-45 minutes, and possibly end up going to 610 anyways to catch a ride -- and be 45 minutes late to work on top of that.
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2002 at 8:14am
I agree with you Arbo.... The last two days I have used 610. So far I have talked to 10 people who said they would love to use 630 but didn't know there was an effort to get the line started. They didn't even know about this website, the Fredbus, or even the Stafford Town Hall meeting.

I think if a line is ever going to get started... we need to set a date in the future and majorily advertise and get the word out. People are interested... they are just not connecting.

Is anyone interested in helping to get the word out?
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2002 at 9:53am
We have tried and tried to get the word out and there have been tons of people who said they want to slug from Route 630 because it is more convenient for them but they keep saying that they will have to wait until it gets more established. The sad thing is that it won't get more "established" until both the riders and drivers are persistent and show up on a daily basis. People give up too easily. I wouldn't suggest waiting a really long time but 15 minutes is not too much to spend if it will save you time and frustration in the long run. If everyone who finds the 630 lot more convenient and would like to save time in the long run would show up daily and be persistent about it, we could have a very successful slug-line going. I have been slugging from there for over a month now and I am much less frustrated and I enjoy the time I save. Last night we walked up to the 630 sign and got a ride almost immediately whereas the 610 line was really long. The 630 lot is great and I will continue to go there and enjoy its many perks. Too bad all those other folks are wasting their time at Route 610!!
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2002 at 12:54pm
Shelbybrynn,

I agree people should be persistant and help the line get established. Everyday when my carpool meets I wait about 10 minutes by the slug-line pick-up for riders. If anyone shows up, we give them a ride.
Since my carpool has not met the last two days... I have had to slug from 610. Everyone I have rode with had no idea about the 630 lot and were very interested. I gave them a flyer and requested their help to spread the word.

A majority of people do not access this web-site. I have posted some more flyers at 610 in effort to spread the word. Anyone interested in helping to spread the word may contact me at rachelkorinek@msn.com to request a copy of a flyer. Thanks!
FyreFyghtr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FyreFyghtr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2002 at 7:30am
I see that there is interest in gettng the 630 line going again. Like Arbo, I too need to get there early, 6:15 - 6:30 and be on my way, can't afford to get there and then wait 30 minutes and end up going to 610 anyhow. I have been spreading the word about 630 starting up again on 12/2 and I will be one of the ones there looking for a ride again. Lets hope some early morning drivers are there this time.

Kenny
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2002 at 8:16am
Yes we are receiving an interest in getting the 630 line going again. Please see message board: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=393. If you are interested in slugging from the 630 commuter lot starting Dec. 2, 2002, please email me your commute times, destinations, and slug/driving preferences. We are taking a poll and will be releasing the information as we get closer. Thanks!

My email address is rachelkorinek@msn.com or korinek@rand.org.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic