Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where should I live and why?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tagotr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where should I live and why?
    Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 10:22am
We are moving to the area for my husband to work in Crystal City. He is in the Marines and we only plan to be there for 3 years. We plan to rent, but don't know where to live. You all seem like very helpful people, so I'm asking for suggestions on where to live. We're obviously looking for a reasonable commute (30 minutes'ish), good school district (public or private elem), and a variety of church options. So, if you love where you live and have the time--let me know.
Thank you!!

Moving to DC
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 11:12am
You really need to find out how much you will get for your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and then start looking at the rental market. Since the amount you pay for rentals is directly related to how close in the unit is, you literally have to pay your way to a reasonable commute. You might not get within the 30 minute radius but you should easily get within the 45 to 60 minute radius.

Good luck!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 2:57pm
tagotr,

In my humble opinion, you just can't beat the Springfield, West Springfield, and Burke areas. We've lived in Burke for almost 28 years. [:)]

That area has really good Fairfax County schools, and it's about 20 mins up I-395 to the Pentagon/Crystal City. And it's about 30-35 mins if you don't carpool or slug in the HOV lanes. Also, there's easy access to the HOVs from Va 7900 (F-S Parkway) and Old Keene Mill Road. [:)]

The housing market is softer in the area now, and there seems to always be some rentals on the market. And there are some very active churches of all faiths. Last time I checked the area, 3-4 bedroom single unit homes in nice neighborhoods were renting for $2,000 to $3,000. Townhomes were a bit less. Give it a look. [;)]

Most who work at the Pentagon and Crystal City think that living anywhere along the I-95/I-395 corridor (that's in Fairfax, Prince William, Stafford, & Spotsylvania counties) is still among the easiest commutes in the DC area -- with I-66 and I-270 commutes being worse.

If you're thinking about Maryland, Maryland's schools aren't rated as high as those in northern Virginia, and your husband would have to endure the bottlenecks at the bridges crossing the Potomac River to get from Maryland to Crystal City.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the DC area as much as my family has enjoyed it over the years. [:)]
happycommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happycommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 4:45pm
The areas where SLUDGE mentioned are good areas, particularly the Burke area. My girlfriend lives in Burke and it's definitely a nice area to live in. A very well family oriented community. Close to Springfield metro and I believe there are 2(?) slug lines there. Like Sludge said close to I-95 and the Fairfax County Parkway(Rt. 7100/7900). The sticker shock of renting shouldn't be bad if you are moving from California.

TRAFFIC IS HERE TO STAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST SIMPLY MOVE AWAY
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 5:36pm
Burke is a good area. As Sludge said, it's in Fairfax County. We have some of the best schools.

Depending on where you're moving from, be prepared for sticker shock. Also, depending on where your husband works, a commute longer than 30 minutes is probably in the offing.

Welcome and good luck.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 8:22am
Here's a little more about Burke/Spingfield slug lines and commuter options to add to happycommuter's earlier posting:

Active slug lines in the Burke/Springfield area (along the old Keene Mill Road route to the I-95/395 regular and HOV lanes) are at the Rolling Valley Mall commuter lot, at the golf course driveway across the street from the Cardinal Plaza shopping center, at the Daventry entrance across from St. Bernadette Catholic Church, and at "Bob's" (the old Circuit City lot). Check the "Morning Slug Lines" tab on the Slug-Lines.com Home page for the destinations served and for more info on each of these lines.

There is also a slug line at the Sydenstricker commuter lot on the FC/F-S Parkways route that has an entrance to the HOV lanes only at I-95/395. This slug line is used mostly by Pentagon-bound slugs, but some drivers offer rides to Rosslyn, Crystal City, and the Navy Yard.

In addition to slug lines there, several carpools meet at the Rolling Valley and Sydenstricker commuter lots and at the newer commuter lot at the corner of the FC Parkway and Gambrill Rd. All three commuter lots have bus service to either the F-S MetroRail station (on the Blue Line) or the bus terminal at the Pentagon.

There are numerous, and easy, commuting options from the Burke/Springfield area.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic