Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Afternoon ride to Woodbridge From DC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jack Burden View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Burden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afternoon ride to Woodbridge From DC?
    Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 10:52am
There is an Old Hechingers slug line at 14th (b/w H and New York). I think the OH slugs line up near the corner of 14th and New York. I usually pick Horner slugs at this line but occasionally go to Old Hechingers. It might be worth a try.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 6:59am
TJones - supply and demand is an issue at other locations too. Perhaps you can get a better feel for the PM by asking your AM drivers what they do in the PM.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 1:59pm
TJones,
Maybe it's just a low supply versus demand situation for afternoon rides to your desired destination.
Another alternative for you to try may be to go to a different slug line in the morning that might be a more popular destination in the afternoon when you show up for a ride.
TJones View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 9:30am
While I don't disagree with you, my question remains unanswered. Slugging is supposed to work for everyone involved. Why can't I find a ride home?

Thanks-
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 6:01pm
TJones, maybe you should think about being a driver and pick up slugs.
That way you will definitely have a ride to where you need to go.
TJones View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 2:38pm
Thanks, Galan. I agree, the map does not show a pick up place for Old Hechingers. But, the page for Pentagon (the one the map is linked to) does specifically list OH as one of the places you can get to from Pentagon:

Destinations: All areas.

* Bob’s at Springfield
* Cardinal Forest Plaza
* Daventry Subdivision
* Dumfries
* Fredericksburg
* Horner Road
* Huntsman & Sydenstriker
* Mobil Gas Station
* Montclair and Montclair Firestation
* Old Hechinger’s
* Potomac Mills
* Rolling Valley Mall
* Route 610 Stafford
* Route 630 Stafford
* Route 17 (Stafford/Fredericksburg)
* Route 3 - Gordon Rd
* Tackett’s Mill
* Lorton VRE

Even though the map didn't give a spot for OH, since I had never been there before yesterday, I figured the pick up spot would become obvious once I saw it in person. The pickup spots are clearly marked, and there are a number of them that appear in the above list that aren't there. I think that the web page for Pentagon should be updated so nobody else makes this mistake.

Meanwhile, I'm no closer to a slug ride home in the afternoons. Any help appreciated!

Thanks-
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 1:43pm

TJ, I've picked up for Horner Rd at the Pentagon about 4:30pm and found a good number of riders and drivers. The pentagon map on this web site under afternoon slug lines is pretty accurate. Horner is not my normal pick up/drop off though so I can only attest to the accuracy of the map...and it doesn't show a line for Old Hechingers. Sorry
TJones View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 9:53am
Unfortunately, I have not found that to be so. Each of the places above are on this website as designated slug lines that are listed as going to Old Hechingers. My commute home yesterday took 2.5 hours. I went to the Pentagon and could not find a place for Old Hechingers, nor could I find a slug ride home. I had to wait 30 mins for a bus, and by that time the traffic was awful. I can't believe this system works well for everybody but me.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 4:52pm
Get yourself to a designated slug line and all should be good.
TJones View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 11:48am
I'm experiencing difficulty finding a ride home in the afternoons. I'm not sure if it is the location I'm trying to get to (Old Hechingers), or the time of day (between 4:45 and 5:15) or some unknown factor. I generally get no reply to a request for a ride when I post on the Googlegroups lists for Horner & Old Hechingers. I have waited to no avail at 19th & I. Recently, I've been hiking the mile to the 14th/Penn location. Once in the past week I caught a ride. The other days, I've ridden the bus.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to improve my odds of getting a ride? I'm thinking of taking Metro to the Pentagon and trying from there. Is it worth trying?

Thanks-

TJ[:(]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic