Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pentagon in the PM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentagon in the PM
    Posted: 01 Nov 2002 at 2:35pm
What is happening at the Pentagon in the evenings lately? I slug/drive about 50-50, and it seems like everytime I drive, South Rotary Drive is backed up almost all the way to Columbia Pike. Last night, I tried taking Army-Navy to Fern as an alternative, and couldn't make the left turn for six or seven light cycles.

It seems like the problem is worse when the MP standing at the corner of Fern and South Rotary tries to direct traffic. Any suggestions on who we should be talking to at DPS about this situation? It's getting extremely frustrating to pick up at the Pentagon. I left my office at the Arlington Courthouse at 5:00 last night, didn't stop anywhere along the way, and didn't get to the Stafford lines to pick up riders until 5:50.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2002 at 2:43pm
There was nobody at 14th & Constitution last night so I too tried to go to the Pentagon, only to find that traffic was backed all the way up the ramp onto the highway. One problem I noticed is that the right lane is still marked as "straight or turn" even though it is right turn only--I'm sure this screws people up. (It sure threw me off--I hardly ever go to the Pentagon.) I gave up and took Army-Navy Drive all the way down to Glebe Road.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkJ
[br]What is happening at the Pentagon in the evenings lately? I slug/drive about 50-50, and it seems like everytime I drive, South Rotary Drive is backed up almost all the way to Columbia Pike. Last night, I tried taking Army-Navy to Fern as an alternative, and couldn't make the left turn for six or seven light cycles.

It seems like the problem is worse when the MP standing at the corner of Fern and South Rotary tries to direct traffic. Any suggestions on who we should be talking to at DPS about this situation? It's getting extremely frustrating to pick up at the Pentagon. I left my office at the Arlington Courthouse at 5:00 last night, didn't stop anywhere along the way, and didn't get to the Stafford lines to pick up riders until 5:50.

Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2002 at 3:35pm
For some reason, last night was terrible for traffic around the Pentagon - maybe everyone trying to get home early for Halloween?

Many people have noticed that traffic seems to work better when there's no one directing it (or is that just because there is no one directing it unless its real bad[?])

I believe there are 2 parts to the problem: location of the Springfield slug lines, and the Metro buses. First, traffic tends to build up in the left lane (of Rotary Rd?) with people lining up to turn left into the parking lot so they can swing by the Springfield pick up area. Unfortunately, if you're trying to pull out of the Stafford pick-up lane, many of these people will not voluntarily let you through because they're afraid (justifiably, it turns out) that, while they're letting you out, somone else (especially those Metro buses -- see below) will swing in front of them in line.

Anyone remember how nice it was at the Pentagon during the interim between closing the old bus stop and the opening of the new one? I'm sorry to say it, but I have yet to see one of those Metro buses stop for anyone except the traffic cops and MPs. I realize they have schedules to keep, but I've seen too many of them almost run over pedestrians and cars. It also appears they think nothing of blocking intersections.
TKest View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2002 at 7:58am
Actually, the cars lined up in the left lane are drivers waiting to swing in left to pick up slugs in the Potomac Mills/Horner Rd./Woodbridge areas.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2002 at 2:11pm
Sorry - I stand corrected.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic