Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Directions from I-66 to Pentagon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Directions from I-66 to Pentagon
    Posted: 04 Nov 2002 at 4:59pm
This is pretty much right with a few nits. The exit on I-66 is Exit 75 and the sign lists Route 110 along with "TO I-395" and the Pentagon, maybe Crystal City and Reagan Airport; the two main things on there that it's Exit 75 and it lists 110 and 395. It's also right before the road curves to the left to go over the Roosevelt Bridge, as well as right below the old USA Today towers. Once you're on Route 110, the exit for VA-27 isn't very well marked as VA-27, so look for the sign for I-395 SOUTH and Columbia Pike (it's after you pass the Arlington Cemetery parking garage on the right). The ramp you want is the second ramp on the right at the Columbia Pike interchange (this interchange is right after you pass the part of the Pentagon where the plane hit on Sept. 11 and right before you go up the hill to the I-395 Mixing Bowl interchange)--the ramp loops around and goes back under VA-27, and then you're at the South Parking Lot. Note that this route does not require going into Crystal City.

The big thing is to pay careful attention to the signs. The roads around Arlington Cemetery and the Pentagon are a tangled web at best and the signs STINK. If you miss the VA-27 exit off Route 110, you have to go past the Pentagon and under I-395, then immediately take the first exit after going under the highway. Then immediately take the left-hand fork on the ramp, which puts you onto Army-Navy Drive, and follow it to the right onto Fern Street. This route requires keeping your eyes peeled--if you miss the split on the ramp (and it is not well marked), you get dumped onto I-395 heading into DC. Note that on this route, you go down 110 almost to Crystal City, but you get off right before you merge onto US-1 to go through Crystal City.

As a final note, there are cops all over the place on 110 but their purpose is not to nab speeders--it's to stop trucks and buses, which have been prohibited on that road since Sept. 11.

quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]I've only done this once, but if I remember right, you take I66 East all the way to the Route 110 exit (I believe it says Arlington, possibly also Iwo Jima memorial and Dutch Carilon). Take 110 past the Dutch Carolin (Bell Tower), Iwo Jima Memorial, and Arlington Cemetary. I think you exit at Rt 27. If you get to the Pentagon exit, you've gone too far (that entrance to the Pentagon is closed). You're on that Road only a short time before you get to the Pentagon South Parking exit.

hth

Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2002 at 10:57am
I've only done this once, but if I remember right, you take I66 East all the way to the Route 110 exit (I believe it says Arlington, possibly also Iwo Jima memorial and Dutch Carilon). Take 110 past the Dutch Carolin (Bell Tower), Iwo Jima Memorial, and Arlington Cemetary. I think you exit at Rt 27. If you get to the Pentagon exit, you've gone too far (that entrance to the Pentagon is closed). You're on that Road only a short time before you get to the Pentagon South Parking exit.

hth
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2002 at 8:50am
Hello! A driver interested in slugging from the new 630 line starting Dec. 2 has requested directions. Can any of you help? See his email below....

"Thank you for your active support of slugging. I hope to make it a regular part of my commuting plan (as a driver, since I need to go to northern Vienna far from Metro).

I have seen the map showing where to pick people up at the Pentagon, but I don't know how to get there from 66. Could you tell me which turn off from 66 to use, and then what turns to make? I gather I need to get to Crystal City and then go back up to the Pentagon."

Thanks for any directions you may be able to provide!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic