Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horner Road Line Backwards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horner Road Line Backwards
    Posted: 06 Nov 2002 at 11:34am
Why is the line for the Pentagon/Crystal City/Rosslyn "backwards"? That is to say, the direction of the line is not the same as the cars that drive up to the line. I started slugging at Horner Road since they expanded the lots, and this struck me as strange. But more than strange, it appears less effective for cars that pull up to the end or middle of the island because the line is backwards.

Whenever I find myself second in line, I'll queue up in the "correct" direction, but others won't. [?]

gg
tbell511 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbell511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2002 at 1:50pm
I slug out of Horner also to DC and someone decided to reverse our line one morning that really wasn't working, so we all agreed that this new line formation was not working, and we all at 7:00 in the morning where looking like we where having a line dance because we decided to all do a reverse hahhahahahah you had to be there!

TBell
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2002 at 6:44pm
Uh...not really my business since I don't slug from Horner but I'm curious - if you don't line up in the same direction as the cars are coming how do you know the destinations of the cars that aren't first in line? If the cars had to run the length of the line everyone could be calling out the destinations to those in front.

Mike
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2002 at 12:44pm
Mike (mycroftt), I had to re-read your post several times because my feeble mind had a difficult time comprehending your thoughtful points. The first point (question) about "if you don't line up in the same direction as the cars are coming how do you know the destinations of the cars that aren't first in line?" is a good one. Actually, the cars first in line don't have riders going to the same destination. For example, this is what I observed, if the first three cars up front are going to Rosslyn and slugs are going to the Pentagon, everyone waits until the fourth car makes it close enough to the first person in line. The driver then calls out his destination and the first person yells the destination to the back of the line. If the fourth car is also going to Rosslyn, the fifth and subsequent cars wait until they can get close enough to the tell the first slug in line, or if they yell out their destinations, or if they have a sign. Now, if I show up at the end of fairly long slug line, I have to ask those already present where the cars up front are headed.

Your other point, "If the cars had to run the length of the line everyone could be calling out the destinations to those in front." I guess what you're describing is the typical line up of slugs for a multi-destination line. This seems to be an efficient enough way to match up drivers with slugs.

It's too bad that there could not be more lines that were exclusive. That is, a Pentagon only line, or Rosslyn only line. But, there are a number of drivers who don't care exactly where they drop off, so making exclusive lines would not reward these considerate drivers. Also, there probably is not enough good areas to set up separate lines. It was a big deal to separate the single line into a Pentagon/Rossly/Crystal City and DC lines.

I think this backwards line stuff originated when the first person in line just started asking drivers their destination by going back through the line of cars and everyone followed.

gg
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 9:45pm
Actually, gg, you should cancel the appointment with your neurologist, you are not losing your mental acumen at all - my post was a tad nebulous. I think you got the gist of it though - I am wondering how in the world a line can work when the slug line and the line of traffic are in opposition. Since the lines intersect only at the pick-up point, there can be no communications between slugs and drivers farther back in the line, which is critical for the efficient operation on a multi-destination line.

Mike

(Better this time?)[8D]
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2002 at 8:24am
Mycroftt, your last point is right on the mark. Now, the only question is how best to change it. You appear to be the only one interested in this topic (apparently out of curiousity), so it might be tough to get the line direction to change. I'm sure you're aware that people don't like change and this will require change. I reckon people might like things the way they are even if it's not efficient because that's the way it's always been.[V]

gg
Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2002 at 6:03pm
Looking at the poll, the drivers appear to be fairly evenly distributed. So what should work is that the first slug in line, assuming the first car isn't for his destination, should walk down the line, calling out destinations, until he reaches a car for his destination. Given the poll results, this shouldn't take more than a handful of cars.

(BTW, since the line-cutters have pretty much ruined Tackett's, I'm thinking of starting to use Horner. Two questions: first, if I drive, how does the line of cars wrap around the lot; second, what's the tempo as 8:00 approaches? Thanks.)

- Eric.
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2002 at 10:07am
Eric,

Question 1) There are two lines at Horner Road, one for the Pentagon/Crystal City/Rosslyn line and the other for points in DC. The backwards line that I refer to is the former line. I have no idea how the DC line works. Anyway, after you enter the lot from the Prince William Parkway, you turn left (if you turn right you enter the HOV), then make a right to the bus stop island. About five cars can line up starting at the tip of the island, but they usually line up 1-3 cars. The rest of the cars just line up perpendicular (right turn) with slugs not knowing their destination, unless they start walking down the line of cars. Walking down the line of cars and checking destinations appears ok if there are only a few slugs, but after a while, with more slugs, you have no idea who is next in line and it becomes confusing.

Question 2) The Pentagon/Crystal City/Rosslyn at about 7:30 usually moves quickly for both drivers and slugs. Mondays and Fridays are usually slow for drivers.

Now a question for you, what do you mean about the line-cutters at Tackett's? slugs, drivers or both? It might be interesting to know how it happened and maybe prevent it at Horner.

gg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic