Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOT Lane Meetings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOT Lane Meetings
    Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 5:34pm
from Michele McQuigg

I wanted to make sure you were aware that VDOT and the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) are holding public meetings about the I-95/395 HOV/BUS/HOT Lanes project. They are seeking feedback regarding public transportation, carpooling/HOV, and highway portions of the proposed I-95/395 HOT lanes between the Pentagon and Massaponax. They will provide further information about the following: the portion of the project under environmental review between Eads Street (near the Pentagon) and Garrisonville Rd (in Stafford), the portion of the project between Dumfries and Massaponax, ongoing avtivities to review proposed transit improvements in the corridor, and the I-95/395 Transit/Transportation Demand Management (TDM) Study.

Five meetings are scheduled. The doors will open at 7PM. Presentations will begin at 7:30PM and again at 8:30PM. The schedule is as follows:
1) Monday July 23 - Edison HS 5801 Franconia Rd Alexandria
2) Tuesday July 24 - Wakefield HS 4901 South Chesterfield Rd Arlington
3) Wednesday July 25 - Forest Park HS 15721 Spriggs Rd Woodbridge
4) Thursday July 26 - Wingate Inn, Mary Washington Pavilion East 20 Sanford Dr Fredericksburg
5) Monday July 30 - Spotsylvania County School Administrative Services 8020 River Stone Dr Spotsylvania

If you can not attend a meeting, you can send your comments to hotlanes@vdot.virginia.gov or drptpr@DRPT.virginia.gov.

Best Wishes,
Michele
achall View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2007 at 8:42am
NoSUV states in another posting:
I attended the meeting on Tuesday at Wakefield High School. I arrived at 6:50 pm, and they were already set up in the cafeteria. There were numerous stations with big boards to provide information by station, including general overview, DRPT, Environment. Subject Matter Experts were at each of the stations to provide information about the project. Questions and comments were refered to a written handout, which has a space for comments. I'll try to just give you the facts with my comments in ().

There were about 40 people at the 7:30 presentation, and 2 at the 8:30 presentations. Questions and comments were not permitted - and even though two people asked questions in the beginning, their questions were ignored. One person continued to loudly ask questions and the police were called. It was pointed out that no elected officials were present.

The presentations were given by Dennis Morrison of VDOT and Corey Hill of DRPT. Only one public hearing is scheduled in July 2008, and constuction begins in Fall 2008 (it is obvious that public feedback is neither welcome nor desired, and if provided, will be ignored. There is no time in the schedule to incorporate feedback.).

From VDOT:
It is a 70 mile network (56 miles I95/I395 and 14 miles I495) with 33 entry/exit points. It will add capacity to Tysons, reduce HOV3 violatons, prevent degredation of existing system, provide incentive for carpool (but not mass transit), and upgrade bus stations and Park & Ride facilities. The slide went by quickly, but I think it said that there were 19 existing slug locations and 21 Park & Ride locations. The Transportation Advisory Committee has numerous members (I didn't have time to write them down, but I recall that Fairfax County was listed), yet I did not see their formal role. A transit study is ongoing through DRPT. Northern construction begins next year and Southern construction begins 2009. The slide stated that public input is important and part of that process is Citizen information Meetings in July 07.

Interesting.

Skibrd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skibrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2007 at 12:01pm
I am adamantly opposed to the Hot Lane proposition! For one, charging money to use the interstate is wrong to begin with. Our taxes are so high as it now and then for the majority of us who work in the NCR, charge an additional fee to drive!!!! Give me a break, when does it end? I have been slugging for 5-years now and it works extremely well and though expensive, the bus system also works. The biggest thing here is the congestion which could be relieved if VDOT would finish the HOV lanes to or past Fredericksburg and require the hybrid drivers to have three passengers. Charging money for HOV is not the answer plus it will negatively impact 90 percent of the citizens who are currently using it now. The solution is simple, VA government and VDOT just need to make it happen…extend the HOV and require a minimum of three members per vehicle. In the interim, VA DOT/Gov’t should begin setting aside funds to expand all lanes for I-95/395 from the Pentagon south…expand the normal lanes to five per side and the HOV to three.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2007 at 8:19am

Site to post comments to VDOT on Hot Lanes (below)

I tried the email and got an error message.

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/HOT_comments.asp
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2007 at 8:41pm
Bob,
I posted a long series of serious questions in the form. I hope they are paying attention.

Thanks for the link!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic