Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVa.'s I-95/395 Survery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 4:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by LDOMAJ
[br]Seemed to be a very well thought out survey... took quite a while to go through all of the AM/PM/carpool/bus/train/sov/hov/parking/entrance/exit... and on and on. I elected to not get the Starbucks giftcard which required my address.

Hello all! First post.

I just went to the web site to complete the survey.The questions were few and simple:
What time do you travel the corridor in the morning.
Do you have a flexible arrival time
Do you travel north or south
Thank you, we have received enough replies for your category.

Kinda screwy I thought, since I got the survey yesterday.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 12:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]There is no mention about this survey on the DRPT website.

Acoording to DRPT's posted schedule, the data collection phase of their I-95/395 study is already over, and they're scheduled to be in the alternatives formulation phase now. So, this survey is not on the advertised DRPT timeline.
Here's the link to DRPT's info on the study.
http://www.drpt.virginia.gov/projects/TransitTDMStudy.aspx

Seems DRPT's Mr. Arabia (if that's a real person) would have provided NoSUV better feedback on where to find reliable information on any contracted survey that relates to the I-95/395 study. Don't you think that would be on DRPT's own website.

I passed your concerns on to Mr. Arabia per below. He sent it to the Project Manager, Tanya Husick, who works directly for Corey Hill at DRPT.

"Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:18 AM
To: Arabia, Christopher (DRPT)
Subject: Re: Survey - Is it real?

I'm concerned that the word about this survey isn't going out very well. There's no reference to it on your website, and the collection of data doesn't seem to match up with your published timeline.

Recommend you provide a link to it as well as put in an explanation about it on your website. In this age of identity theft and phishing, it might be prudent. I found out about it from a posting on slug-lines, and the majority of the people posting there believe the survey to be a hoax. I cut and pasted your comments, leaving off your phone numbers and email address - I figured you would not want those posted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest. We seem to be getting a good response to the survey, however, I do think your comment is good, and I have contacted our IT people to have them put information about the survey on our website. If people want more information about the survey, or want to give comment, they simply need to click on the link that is on the bottom of the survey (even before they enter the survey) If you have questions concerning this survey, please contact the Southeastern Institute of Research, Inc. by clicking here.

Comments will be forwarded to me. Thanks.

-Tanya Husick

DRPT"

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 1:56pm
I went through the survey and it is not a hoax. I am sure the survey is generally a well intentioned effort to collect information on commuting patterns and opinions about HOT lanes. However, being the cynic that I am, it wouldnt surprise me if there were some politics here as well, i.e. promoting HOT.

As with any survey, the questions asked, and the sequence of questions tells you a lot, and also gives you an idea about how the survey is going to be used to support the agenda of the group doing the survey.

I believe that the survey will be used to justify HOT lanes in saying that most of the opposition is coming from Prince Wm County. Also, it will be used to show that regardless of the toll rates, those currently carpooling will continue to use them after tolling is in place. As you know, some people in voicing their opposition to toll lanes, have said that they would just stop picking up riders and pay the toll. This will be used to counter that.

I could go on, but all in all it doesnt matter because they have already decided to do HOT.
DLB428 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLB428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 2:25pm
Why are people in PWCo any more opposed to HOT Lanes than those in FFX, Stafford, or Spotsy?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 9:08am
I don't think people from PWC are more opposed to HOT lanes; could be they are better informed or better organized and more vocal. I live in FFX and am opposed to HOT lanes, everyone I talk to about HOT is opposed, however many are not aware that they are coming or about the negative impact they will have. Could be that FFX politicians have been more successful keeping local media quiet about it.

How could anyone who uses the current HOV system ever agree with HOT lanes? I don't get it: Yesterday it was free, tomorrow you pay a toll. How again is this a good thing? For non-HOVers and affluent commuters, sure, it makes sense because they will gain access to a benefit they did not have previously.

But there is a "sinking life-raft syndrome" at work here. Right now HOV lanes provide a commmuting option with many benefits. Those who choose to abide by the HOV-3 restrictionsclimb aboard the life-raft each day, and we all benefit (either directly or indirectly). With HOT, there will be many, many more users climbing aboard the life-raft, looking for a shorter commute. But we all will be denied the things HOT promises!

This increased use will destroy the very benefits that made HOV work: fewer vehicles with multiple occupants + limited access = faster flowing traffic and low/no cost shorter commutes, fewer vehicles = reduced fuel use, reduced traffic cingestion and less pollution. HOT removes all these benefits to the populace! The only beneficiaries of HOT are those who collect and manage the revenue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic