Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPotomac News Online article on HOT lanes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potomac News Online article on HOT lanes
    Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 10:16am
Please check out the link below to read an article from today's Potomac News Online.

Earlier this week I received a response letter from Govenor Kaine's Office echoing use of infrared technology and the "switchable" transponders.

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN%2FMGArticle%2FWPN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173352835157&path=!news

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 8:14am
Online comments about the article in Potomac News. I will say this, that I think HOT lanes would have come to us even with Dems in power in Richmond. Evidence? Pro HOT governor.

Posted on 09/22 at 12:10 PM
Just like the civil remedy fees, that our elected officials clamied worked so well in other states, but then as soon as they are put in place we will start hearing the stories from other states that say how bad they are...I'm so glad that we only have a few more months of the GOP controlling Richmond...
Steve
Posted on 09/21 at 11:24 PM
How can they keep shoving this down our throats when so many oppose this?! I'm fed up with road construction on 95. The suggested fee of $5 is also ridiculously low. I expressed my disagreement with the Governor and all I got was a form letter stating how wonderful Hot Lanes would be.
Anonymous
Posted on 09/21 at 03:05 PM
Here we go, another opportunity for the taxpayers to get messed with. I used to live up north and the same was done and it was an opportunity to pass the cost on to the consumer, hide rate increases and allow the troopers to track cars from exit to exit. I am so glad that Virgina is now further adding to the cost of my commute in all ways!!!!!!
AJKELLY
Posted on 09/21 at 12:55 PM
Hot lanes are the worst possible thing that could happen to I95. It will ruin the SLUG line system. Companies will fund there employees so they can drive in the HOT lanes and the folks that work for the government will have to suck up the cost or creep into work. HOT lanes will clog up the regular lanes with interstate traffic - where are all the trucks going to go that move on I95. They'll be in the regular lanes - this will be a disaster for the average driver in Prince William county.
Anonymous
Posted on 09/21 at 11:06 AM
$1 per mile??????? Yikes! I hope my boss can pay my commute. What is that, about $80 per day if you commute from F'burg to DC during rush hour? Oh, well, I can always go back to working at the Piggly-Wiggly for slave wages.
Hopin the Boss Pays my Commute
Posted on 09/21 at 11:02 AM
Transurban builds roads. They do not develop technologies. Yet they hitch their promise to undeveloped gadgets that have never been used, much less demonstrated in a real world environment, and you publish it as fact. SHAME ON YOU!
NO TOLL ROAD
Posted on 09/21 at 10:52 AM
HOT lanes are the book-theory of overeducated idiots. They'll never work. Eventually they'll need a taxpayer bailout. I can just see someone paying ! dollar a mile for 20 miles one way to get to work in DC, i.e. $40 a day. No one has that kind of money. Typical Republican nonsense.
Anonymous
Posted on 09/21 at 10:33 AM
The idea of the HOT Lanes have seduced our elected officials and VDOT into believing that this is an answer that will serve Northern Virginia better than investing in the HOV lanes with public funds. The tolls charged will in the end be raised so that the private corporation can pay back its loans and make its profit goals. Future parking fees will be charged and even carpools will pay tolls because the income models will not produce the funds expected in the proposals.
Anonymous
Posted on 09/21 at 08:17 AM
Just like the civil remedy fees, this is bad Virginia policy that needs to be reversed. I hope in November, voters that oppose HOT lanes will elect officials that will go to Richmond and change this course of action.
Ernie Gonzales
Posted on 09/21 at 08:00 AM
Advanced technology for use by corporate fat cats to maximize profits while ruining the best commuter traffic solution we have in the region? Thanks, but not interested. The HOT lanes are nothing more than bad scheme to make a handful of rich people richer at the cost of slower commutes for the rest of us, more air pollution, more children with asthma, more global warming and more consumption of our ever-diminishing fossil fuels. The HOV lanes work - leave them alone!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic