Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

smelly riders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whatever_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: smelly riders
    Posted: 05 Dec 2007 at 1:35pm
I know, I know there are certain things that come with the territory of having strangers jump in your car so that you may fly down 395. I love getting to DC in less than 45 minutes. My biggest pet peeve is to smokers. Please, please try to be mindful of that smell. I've had a lady ride with me on 3 occassions where I had to crack the window becuase the smell made me sick to my stomach. I don't want to deny the rider becuase she seemed like a very nice lady but the smell of cigerettes was just AWFUL!
Dcole96 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcole96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 10:33am
What did she look like, where was she going? I have had the same problem, just dont want to be rude though.
whatever_k View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whatever_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2007 at 10:40am
It's dark in the morning so sadly enough I could not pick her out of a line up. I pick up from Potomac Mills by the Costco and drop her off at the Pentagon.
Ollie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 10:25am
My biggest problem so far as been with perfume and oils. I have allergies and asthma and a women got in the car (Cardinal Forest) and I drove off. The smell choked me, and my other passengers, to the point we had to drive into the District with all the windows open. Luckily it was summer, but I did tell her very nicely that I would not be able to pick her up again. She was very nice and said that it was a new oil and she would not wear it to slug again. If you are the driver or the slugger PLEASE do not wear perfumes or oils. More people are sensitive to this today than ever.

THANKS
Drive3 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drive3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 2:27pm
A few weeks ago, I picked up a thin, older woman (at L'Enfant, heading to Horner), with long "salt and pepper" hair, and she totally reeked from smoke. About 1/2-way home, I finally couldn't take it any longer, and the other slug was occassionally coughing in the back seat (presumably from the smoke smell), so I politely told both slugs that I had to crack the windows because I smelled smoke. The lady was very nice, and said, "Oh, sorry, that's me. My husband smokes heavily, and I smoke some, and I guess it's in my clothes. A few days ago, a man on the bus had to move because of my smoky smell." Ah, duh! If this is the case, please slugs, don't smoke right before getting into cars for your commute.

On a similar "duh" matter... Please don't drive or slug when you are sick (really sick). I'm tired of slugs hacking and wheezing all the way to or from DC, and me thinking that I'm going to get ill. I know there are certain "risks" when you slug or drive, but we all need to use common sense. Thanks for listening! [:)]
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 3:44pm
Drive3, I agree with you on the matter that if you are "really" sick, don't slug. But, there are some coughs totally unrelated to sicknesses. I occasionally have a "dry" cough and I can normally tame it with a piece of hard candy. As for wheezing, Asthma copuld be the cause and it's not contagious...I don't think! [?]

Just my $.02 for the day. [:)]
Oxi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 10:28am
quote:
Originally posted by whatever_k
[br]I know, I know there are certain things that come with the territory of having strangers jump in your car so that you may fly down 395. I love getting to DC in less than 45 minutes. My biggest pet peeve is to smokers. Please, please try to be mindful of that smell. I've had a lady ride with me on 3 occassions where I had to crack the window becuase the smell made me sick to my stomach. I don't want to deny the rider becuase she seemed like a very nice lady but the smell of cigerettes was just AWFUL!

Oxi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 10:31am
quote:
Originally posted by whatever_k
[br]I know, I know there are certain things that come with the territory of having strangers jump in your car so that you may fly down 395. I love getting to DC in less than 45 minutes. My biggest pet peeve is to smokers. Please, please try to be mindful of that smell. I've had a lady ride with me on 3 occassions where I had to crack the window becuase the smell made me sick to my stomach. I don't want to deny the rider becuase she seemed like a very nice lady but the smell of cigerettes was just AWFUL!

I understand what you mean! I want to be nice to all riders - especially since I alternate between driving and slugging. But there are a few people in the afternoon line on 14&Constitution that seriously make me think whether I should be nice and go to Rolling Valley (which is usually a long-wait destination in pm) or go to Bobs just to avoid these guys!!!! Please, before you plan to slug that day, make sure you take shower and have a fresh set of clothes on! :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic