Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTolls to hit $1 a mile on 91 Express Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winglover1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 10:06pm
Once a Toll... Always a Toll!!!

Do you think that once they get used to the money flowing in, that the tolls will ever stop?! Not! Case in point, Dulles Toll Road. It will never be paid off, because if it were, the bureaucrats and their buddies that run it would be out of a JOB! A well paying job at that! Not happening! [:(!]

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 9:22am
I've pointed numerous times over some years that HOV3 wasn't going to remain free. This has been a done deal for years! Done and done. I think it was a couple of years ago that our legislators shafted us and voted against keeping HOV3 free forever. Way to keep up with the issues folks.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 12:41pm
Again, NoSUV posts his ignorance: HOV3 is NOT free on SR91. This is from their website:

"Vehicles with three or more persons (HOV3+), zero emission vehicles (ZEVs), motorcycles, disabled plates and disabled veterans are permitted to ride free in the 91 Express Lanes during most hours. The exception is Monday through Friday 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the eastbound direction when these users pay 50 percent of the toll. The exception that these users pay 50 percent remains in effect until such time as the Debt Service Coverage Ratio - inclusive of senior and subordinated debt - is projected to be 1.2 or greater for a six month period. At that time, HOV3+ users will ride free all day, every day."

But the issue isn't the free part of it, it is that their system has only ONE tollbooth. So enforcement is easy. Our system will have dozens of toll gantries, not one of which will be able to verify HOV-3 status. Without verification, every vehicle must be charged the same. Period. You cannot argue otherwise, unless you are a complete idiot.
dfesta View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 1:13pm
The tolls in Va Bch stopped and went away.....Anyone remember???? Ok, may be dating myself but in 1986 to ?? there were tolls you had to pay however since then the road has been paid for and the tolls were removed. Not sure when this happened though.
757slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 757slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 11:51am
dfesta, I am from the Hampton Roads area and they are trying to bring the tolls back particularly to the Downtown and Midtown tunnels to cut back congestion during peak time hours.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 1:09pm
dfesta,
The answer is 1995. [:)]

"The VA-44 Virginia Beach - Norfolk Expressway was renumbered to I-264 in July 1999. This is logical, since VA-44 was basically an eastward continuation of the original I-264, which ran through Portsmouth and Norfolk. VA-44 was built to Interstate standards. It was not originally part of the Interstate system, it was built and funded with toll revenue bonds. The Expressway opened in 1967, and ran 12 miles, from I-64/I-264 in Norfolk to the Virginia Beach oceanfront, and it was a toll road until 1995 when the tolls and toll booths were removed. The car toll was 25 cents. The original road had 4 lanes (2 each way). It was widened to 6 lanes in the 1980s, and to 8 lanes in the early 1990s."

dfesta View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 2:36pm
Sludge, Thank you for the back info. Like I said it was a long time ago, sorry to hear they may bring them back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic