Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSen. George Barker Hates Slugs and Slugging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sen. George Barker Hates Slugs and Slugging
    Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 2:18pm
This could be revamped to any of our Senators, I just drafted it to fit mine.

Have you met your new Springfield State Senator?
Let me introduce you to Sen. George Barker.

Sen. George Barker Hates Slugs and Slugging

On Feb. 26th, one of Senator Barkerˇ¦s first actions was to extend the Hybrid exemption for HOV lanes to allow single passenger hybrids to continue using HOV lanes. Regardless that increasing gas prices are resulting in more and more vehicles are crowding the HOV lanes and slowing the commute.

Since Sen. Barker has proven through his votes that he hates the SLUG system and instead supports Hybrid drivers and big developers, maybe we should remind him how is the Hybrid exemption bad for Virginians?

„« Since the Hybrid exemption was established, Prince William and Stafford Counties have been two of the fastest growing counties in VA. This ex-urban sprawl destroys our environment, results in more cars on the road for more miles and wastes time and energy.
„« The current exemption which transfers with the plate allows hybrid owners to upgrade from the few relatively efficient original hybrids to a ˇ§newˇ¨ hybrid, like the 2008 Toyota Highlander (24 mpg), Lexus RX (24 mgp), or Chevy Tahoe Hybrid (20 mpg). These new ˇ§hybridsˇ¨ get far worse gas mileage then the car the plate was issued for but they still get the plate and SOV exemption.
„« Hybrids get their best gas mileage when operating in city traffic or stop-and-go traffic, where the electric engine and braking energy recovery result in the highest gas mileage. At freeway speeds, Hybrids are no more efficient then any other vehicle due to the need for the gas engine to be running at full speed to keep the pace.

I would urge you to email him at district39@sov.state.va.us, however he hasnˇ¦t responded to my repeated emails but you might have more luck.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 12:51pm
quote:
Originally posted by colossus911
[br]This could be revamped to any of our Senators, I just drafted it to fit mine.

Have you met your new Springfield State Senator?
Let me introduce you to Sen. George Barker.

Sen. George Barker Hates Slugs and Slugging

On Feb. 26th, one of Senator Barkerˇ¦s first actions was to extend the Hybrid exemption for HOV lanes to allow single passenger hybrids to continue using HOV lanes. Regardless that increasing gas prices are resulting in more and more vehicles are crowding the HOV lanes and slowing the commute.

Since Sen. Barker has proven through his votes that he hates the SLUG system and instead supports Hybrid drivers and big developers, maybe we should remind him how is the Hybrid exemption bad for Virginians?

„« Since the Hybrid exemption was established, Prince William and Stafford Counties have been two of the fastest growing counties in VA. This ex-urban sprawl destroys our environment, results in more cars on the road for more miles and wastes time and energy.
„« The current exemption which transfers with the plate allows hybrid owners to upgrade from the few relatively efficient original hybrids to a ˇ§newˇ¨ hybrid, like the 2008 Toyota Highlander (24 mpg), Lexus RX (24 mgp), or Chevy Tahoe Hybrid (20 mpg). These new ˇ§hybridsˇ¨ get far worse gas mileage then the car the plate was issued for but they still get the plate and SOV exemption.
„« Hybrids get their best gas mileage when operating in city traffic or stop-and-go traffic, where the electric engine and braking energy recovery result in the highest gas mileage. At freeway speeds, Hybrids are no more efficient then any other vehicle due to the need for the gas engine to be running at full speed to keep the pace.

I would urge you to email him at district39@sov.state.va.us, however he hasnˇ¦t responded to my repeated emails but you might have more luck.

Wow, this has so many errors, it's no wonder you don't understand either the issue OR the solution.

First off, you haven't demonstrated a link between extending the hybrid exemption and hating the slug system. You probably need to show at least a modicum of a link.

Second, as EVERYONE knows, no new hybrids have been added to the I95/395 corridor since July 2006. Still, this morning, I used my cruise control at above the posted speed limit on I395, and I am able to also do so most afternoons. You cannot prove a link between hybrids and congestion.

Third, the hybrid exemption has NOTHING to do with fuel economy. The exemption is based on EMISSIONS. You are aware, aren't you, that hybrids are not required to have emissions inspections every other year?

Perhaps the goal is to both improve transportation flow while reducing the harmful effects of automotive emissions to the environment; even people who get it wrong like you still breathe the air! You need to be HOV-5 in a sedan (HOV-15 in a SUV) to match SOV in a Prius. The top 2 ways to BOTH improve the environment and improve transportation is mass transit and hybrids - NOT the slug system (that comes 3rd).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic