Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is it soo difficult to say thanks.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Oxi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is it soo difficult to say thanks.....
    Posted: 29 May 2008 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by AWinner

Saying thanks or bless you or even a simple hello is not common in all cultures. Maybe others should adapt to American culture, but that is another topic entirely.

Hmmmm, I wonder what other cultures you are talking about? No offense, but I think your comment about "adaptation to American culture" if offensive. As you probably would guess, I was not born in US and lived in quite a few cultures before coming to this country. In my experience, any culture/country has rude people and polite people - it has nothing to do with where these people live.
AWinner View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:54pm
Saying thanks or bless you or even a simple hello is not common in all cultures. Maybe others should adapt to American culture, but that is another topic entirely. I just read an article today about how non-Spanish speaking people in Miami are slowly leaving. Some think that everyone should speak English in public.

Keep in mind that fake, insincere people who always say flattering things can be less meaningful than the silent types.

THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts with the rest of us!
dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 11:36am
Paula - welcome to the itty bitty car club. My Yaris hatchback has lots of legroom but looks tiny on the outside. I've heard comments too. Fortunately, usually as me and two happy riders are pulling away from teh curb! It is a bit snug getting into the back seat but once there - all is well. The commentators, as always, are on teh side lines. As a rider, I never refused a ride. I'm tall. I've ridden doubled over in the back of high dollar sports cars, jammed into tiny back seats of European luxury cars, and sideways in "cab and a half" pickups. I'd be thrilled to ride w/ you in a Mini. You get me there and I get you in the HOV? Sounds like a mutually beneficial activity. I'll take it. All the rest is side line chatter.
Paula View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 8:43am
I had to throw my 2 cents in here. My husband and I drive up together, and have tried in vain to pick up a rider at either the Rte 3 lot or at Rt 17. Usually when we get there (6:30 or so), there's a long line of cars and not a rider in sight. Thus, we've taken to driving up to 610 and picking up riders there (never a problem). We appreciate the heads up that cars are going to our location (Rosslyn) and will usually offer Crystal City as an alternative. I also have to laugh when I hear slugs talking amongst themselves in line about our car (we drive a MINI Cooper). People wrinkle up their noses and refuse to ride in that "itty bitty thing", however most riders have been pleasantly surprised by the legroom and general comfort.

And I guess we've been lucky thus far. Everyone has said thank you, and been generally pleasant. Maybe it's because the ungrateful SOB's won't get in our car. If that's the case... whew!! Maybe we'll give more consideration before trading in our car for a more slug-friendly sedan.
springfieldslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote springfieldslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 4:26pm
Drive3: No one I'm sure is trying to offend you... if they are negotiating with you, I don't see why this should make you feel frustrated... our lives are filled with many negotiations... It's a natural thing to do... slugs want to get out of DC and you want the same, rather than sit there and wait in line. Second, if they tell you to "move up" they want to let other cars in the line come closer to the slug line, so that we all avoid any traffic jams, or make the drivers down the line frustrated if you're not moving up.

And I do agree that all the riders should be thankful at the end of the day and show their appreciation by at least saying a simple "thank you".
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:02pm
Are you kidding me [:0], there are numerous cars with waiting in YOUR slug line going to the same place! [:0]. That must be awesome! Down at Rt-3 in Fredericksburg the waiting cars are few and very far between. When they come we show our appriciation and hop in and enjoy the ride. Waiting cars...must be nice [:D]
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 2:21pm
Sorry to hear that Gaddict and Drive3. Hopefully, those silent riders are in the minority. Those of us who have been commuting this way for a long time still greet and thank the driver.
Drive3 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drive3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:12pm
I have had the friendly "heads up" notices (and appreciate them), but many more of the annoyed, "Everyone in front of you is going there too!" reactions. Also, listening to the slugs telling eachother, "They are all going to xxx. Don't know why they can't take some of us to yyy." I just smile and move up. Not a good way to start the day. [;)]
Drive3 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drive3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 10:23am
Totally understand what you mean. I'm getting a little tired of the slugs who find out where I'm going and either try to talk me into going somewhere else, or say "Everyone in front of you is going there too!!!" Or, just say disgustingly, "Move up!" Hey, folks, remember, this is a free ride for you. I keep the music low, the temp in my car good, and the distance between my car and the one in front, safe. Please appreciate the ride.
Gaddict View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:44am
Today Pouring rain all morning, I picked up slugs from Bob's to 18th and F.

This lady arrives reads my destination sign(I created one so I dont have to roll the window) and gets in the passenger front seat, I say good morning she doesnt reply. Rude.

Then when I drop her off at her destination, she gets out of the car and doesnt even say THANK YOU, not a word, nothing.

would it hurt to say thank you? She just got a free ride, she saved gas $$$, she saved parking $$, no wear and tear on her car, she didnt stand in the rain.

Ungrateful people drive me nuts. Argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic