Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is "Will Call" appropriate???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2002 at 1:59pm
leblanc,

Obviously, if everyone were principled or ethical in their choices, this would not be an issue. I'd like to believe that most people are fair. Like others, I've passed on friends and co-workers that drove up to the slug-line. Some people might think that was foolish, but to uphold the principle of slugging, I passed, not to sound altruistic but to not feel guilty. I've never been in the situation where my spouse drove up. I suppose if it did happen, it would be difficult to pass, but knowing the principles involved I'd pass and meet her at the destination point. Not much lost, but what if the stakes were higher, that is, what if it was a quarter to 6 PM and my wife left with the first slugs in line, but left me behind. I'd be upset if I did not get a ride back and had to wait and take the bus home. Yes, I would be ethical, no guilt, but not happy. So, what would be the right thing to do? Fortunately, this probably has never happened but in principle, it could.

gg
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2002 at 4:25pm
raymond - from what I understand, the AM line at 610 is a combined line for Pentagon, Roslyn, and Crystal City. So if that is the line you're talking about, its not a "will call" at all.

Personally, I don't have a problem with "will call".
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2003 at 9:26am
I think I've found a wonderful solution for a driver that wants to exercise 'will call'...if they see someone further down the line that they work with why don't they just get really specific about their destination? Instead of saying something like, "Foggy Bottom" they could say "State Department" or an exact address...who would be able to argue with that? [?]

K.O.
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2003 at 2:22pm
Interesting idea for the morning commute, but I think everyone in line would know what the driver was up to and would possibly make people more disgruntled. How about the afternoon commute, should the driver call out the parking spot number to specify where in the parking lot is their intended destination?

In my opinion and relative to other issues, I don't think "will call" happens often and so it does not significantly impact the "system". For example, drivers lurking the parking lots for slugs happens all the time and does impact the system.

gg
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2003 at 2:52pm
I travel from points in Springfield to Rosslyn and back everyday. There are no dedicated lines in either direction so I scout the Pentagon lines for people going to Rosslyn or proceeding to DC stops on the Blue line in the morning, and usually pick up slugs to Tacketts or Horner Rd in the evening (and backtrack to Springfield alone). I always ask for riders to my destination but will happily settle for the riders next in line going near my destinations when necessary. This is the best solution I have until more Springfield/Rosslyn commuters get together. Anyone else in a similar situation?
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2003 at 12:43pm
I just had to put my two cents in. Just like others, I dont think it happens enough to really be a problem. If I were driving and saw a good friend or relative standing in line, I would call them out for a ride, but I would still go to the front and make sure to take two people.
dkerley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkerley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 10:12am
I think drivers have that right to pick up people that they know like friends or family instead of the person that is next in line. I certainly don't want to catch heat from my friends for leaving them in the line. I would never hear the end of it! [:0]

Dina

Dina
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic