Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hmm...we complain about I-395 now...check this out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hmm...we complain about I-395 now...check this out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hmm...we complain about I-395 now...check this out
    Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 12:56pm
This is a link to a picture taken in August 1968 prior to Shirley Highway becoming I-95 (later changed to I-395). Imagine if the road were still in this configuration. That's the W&OD, incidentally.

Things have changed a wee bit in 40 years....although the apartment building and the low brown warehouse are still there.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 12:57pm
D'oh....I put in text and forgot the URL!

http://www.geocities.com/pem20165/wodph330ShirleyHighway.JPG
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 1:01pm
Great photo! Sometimes I think the train is still operating based on the traffic!
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 4:26pm
Looks like NB near King St. approaching Glebe
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 9:46pm
Wow!

That's just past Shirlington on the way in. (i'd like to know what that area looked like back then)

The apartments are currently getting a facelift, the "low" building (affiliated with some car dealership) is now vacant.

I always love pictures like that. Thanks!

btw - what's W&OD - Washington & Old Dominion? Could you imagine if today's crowd had to deal with RR crossings???!!!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 7:21am
Here's a photo in a VDOT document of I-395 and the HOV lanes (near Seminary Rd?) when the lanes were for buses only. [:)]
From the cars we recognize , it looks like the photo was taken somewhere around 1967 to 1969.
When you open the link, go to page #63. (The page number is on the upper right-hand corner of the page.)

http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/historyofrds.pdf

Also, there's another photo from the 1970's on page 47 of the same document that shows the entry to the HOV lanes between Edsall Rd and Landmark. It was taken after the lanes were opened to both buses and 4-person car pools. Notice that the sign reads "Buses and 4 Rider Pool Cars" (HOV-4) from 11 PM to 11 AM! Wow! Looks like the inbound HOV hours were a quite a bit longer back then. Not sure what the outbound hours were -- maybe Noon to 10 PM? Anyone know? In 1985 when I started commuting to DC, I think the HOV-4 hours were the same as the HOV-3 hours are today. [;)]

USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 3:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE

Here's a photo in a VDOT document of I-395 and the HOV lanes (near Seminary Rd?) when the lanes were for buses only ....

Also, there's another photo from the 1970's on page 47 of the same document that shows the entry to the HOV lanes between Edsall Rd and Landmark. It was taken after the lanes were opened to both buses and 4-person car pools. Notice that the sign reads "Buses and 4 Rider Pool Cars" (HOV-4) from 11 PM to 11 AM! Wow! ....

Nice link. Thanks for that. The picture of I-95 with the stopped traffic in the local lanes and the bus in the express lanes is at the King Street interchange looking outbound (southbound). Notice that the ramp on the left doesn't appear to meet the highway. That's the primary giveaway as to the location.

Funny to see the old sign reading "Pool Cars." I always liked the old signs for the express lanes that used a dark background with white text. I think the FHWA made Virginia replace all of those, which is too bad because they were distinctive. Now instead of this we have those dopey auxiliary signs that read "Express Lanes Only" just in case someone out in the local lanes is idiotic enough to think that a sign located over an entirely separate carriageway somehow applies to him.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 4:07pm
cool pics, thanks!

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic