Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"Surprise" HOT Costs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cavvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Surprise" HOT Costs
    Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 9:19am
Washington Post had an article on the "unexpected" costs of HOV on the Commonwealth. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/19/AR2008071901651.html

As I have stated all along, HOV will not remain free and once the contract is signed, you will begin to hear this from Richmond. Well, that time has arrived and this article is the first acknowledgement of that by VDOT. Virginia has agreed to pay 70% of the toll for all HOV when their numbers exceed 24% of all traffic. VDOT and Barbara Reese estimated that this amount would not exceed $1 million dollars a year. Now that the contract is signed, VDOT is thinking it will be much higher and therefore a possible drain on the Commonwealth budget. Therefore, our elected idiots in Richmond will now say they don't have the funding for HOV subsidies and will quickly move to cut them and HOV will end. VDOT, Homer Pierce, Barbara Reese are either in the back pocket of Transurban Fluor Daniels or they are so grossly incompetent that they should immediately be fired and possibly investigated. When will Northern Virginians wake up.
CatHerder View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatHerder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 10:27am
NOVA doesn't need to wake up. It's the rest of Virginia that needs a little caffine boost. So many people who don't commute into this area have no idea about this deal with the devil and they'll be helping to pay for it. I guess they could do a triple whammy and impose a "special" tax just for NOVA to help pay for the HOT subsidy.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 11:09am
NoVA does so need to wake up - and everyone from Spotsy on north (ie, those of us who provide 90% of the state's income to get about 10% of it back) need to secede from the state.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
CatHerder View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatHerder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 11:11am
and join with eastern West Virginia (another suburb of DC). I hear they are having the same issues with their legislature.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 11:56am
quote:
Originally posted by CatHerder

and join with eastern West Virginia (another suburb of DC). I hear they are having the same issues with their legislature.

If they really are having that problem, then yea, that sounds ilke a good idea. Time for lazy people in low COL areas to stop profiteering off our stress and misery.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 3:07pm
I knew this was the case with I-495, as the article states. The article does not say whether this applies to I-395/I-95 HOV/HOT lanes where there is an existing HOV system.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 9:07am
quote:
Originally posted by Cavvie

Washington Post had an article on the "unexpected" costs of HOV on the Commonwealth. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/19/AR2008071901651.html

As I have stated all along, HOV will not remain free and once the contract is signed, you will begin to hear this from Richmond. Well, that time has arrived and this article is the first acknowledgement of that by VDOT. Virginia has agreed to pay 70% of the toll for all HOV when their numbers exceed 24% of all traffic. VDOT and Barbara Reese estimated that this amount would not exceed $1 million dollars a year. Now that the contract is signed, VDOT is thinking it will be much higher and therefore a possible drain on the Commonwealth budget. Therefore, our elected idiots in Richmond will now say they don't have the funding for HOV subsidies and will quickly move to cut them and HOV will end. VDOT, Homer Pierce, Barbara Reese are either in the back pocket of Transurban Fluor Daniels or they are so grossly incompetent that they should immediately be fired and possibly investigated. When will Northern Virginians wake up.

Yes, the raping of the taxpayer is in full swing! Unfortunately, these nickle and dime charges are only a small part of the millions of taxpayer dollars that have been committed to this road in the construction contract by VDOT. Taxpayers have paid to build and maintain I95/495/395, taxpayers will pay to build HOT lanes on I95/495/395, taxpayers will pay to drive on these roads, and taxpayers will pay to keep the contractors in the green. How many times will taxpayers pay for this boondoggle? Oh, I forgot, taxpayers pay the salaries of VDOT executives who sold us down the river!

Barbara Reese, VDOT Comptroller is a pirate!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic