Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVDOTshould help mom's with HOV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VDOTshould help mom's with HOV
    Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 10:02am
Guys, I recently moved to Woodbridge area from Alexandria and my life is SOOO TErrible stressed now... I purchased a big home and yard for my son, but now he sitts in traffic from anywhere from 1 hour to 2... Has anyone ever EVER been stuck in trafic with a sreaming 2 year old? I think VDOT should let mothers with Children ride the HOV, I ride with him from woodrbidge into alexandria, EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK and OMG let's say FRIDAY's.. I do not see my house til dark.... I believe we need help.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 1:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by Lilpeachespam

Guys, I recently moved to Woodbridge area from Alexandria and my life is SOOO TErrible stressed now... I purchased a big home and yard for my son, but now he sitts in traffic from anywhere from 1 hour to 2... Has anyone ever EVER been stuck in trafic with a sreaming 2 year old? I think VDOT should let mothers with Children ride the HOV, I ride with him from woodrbidge into alexandria, EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK and OMG let's say FRIDAY's.. I do not see my house til dark.... I believe we need help.

It's all kinds of discriminatory to say you deserve to ride HOV with less than 3 passengers just because you have a child. It was your choice to move (it's not that traffic is a new development or a secret around here), and that commute is a result of your choices. It is also your choice not to pick up slugs - yes, I can understand how you might be leery doing that with your little boy in the car, but you can still take measures for that to be comfortable for you (ie, arrange to carpool with someone you know, have the slug sit up front with you rather than in back with your son, keep him in daycare closer to your home, etc).

You are LUCKY that you have a child. Not everyone can. It doesn't make you more deserving of priveleges than the rest of us.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
Mike2854 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike2854 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 9:36am
If you aren't seeing your house till after dark, that means you are getting home around 7:30 this time of year, correct? The HOV lanes get lifted at 6 PM. Granted, it can back up at Springfield with everyone merging, but it does pick up after that.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 4:55pm
Actually, VDOT did help out working parents. The HOV lanes used to be HOV-4. Parents w/car seats complained that in order to fit two riders in the back, they had to remove the car seat. VDOT changed the requirement to HOV-3.

ONLYISLANDLADY View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ONLYISLANDLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 4:58pm
mom to mom,

learn the tricks of the trade.
i commute for 1.5 hours for the same reasons.
books on cd are great for sing a long or nursery rhymes too.
we learned lots of new vocabulary and counted and learned colors.
my child is educated in my vehicle.
i never needed a dvd player or TV or a movie.
it works!!!
key here is being creative to do something interactive.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic