Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robbery at American Legion Commuter Lot!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robbery at American Legion Commuter Lot!
    Posted: 03 Jan 2003 at 9:32am
I was recently notified of the following incident. I have notified Fairfax County, but be careful. Here is the email:

"I use the Old Keene Mill Road Slug-Line to get to work, and park my car at the American Legion Veterans Post Commuter Lot on Amherst Road behind Circuit City. When returning to my car on the evening of December 30, I was confronted by a young man who was asking for directions to Commerce Street and robbed me at gunpoint. Thank God I was not harmed. Please alert all sluggers to be cautions when returning to their cars in the late afternoon/evening."
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2003 at 3:10pm
The following email was sent to the victim in the American Legion (cc'd to me) from Fairfax County in regards to the robbery:

"I regret to hear of your traumatic experience upon returning to the American Legion Park-and-Ride. I, too, am grateful that you were not injured or harmed. Pls. inform the manager at the American Legion of the incident, so that they can warn their patrons and visitors of possible danger and possibly may be able to provide some spot security while the evenings are dark.

Please note that I will confer with our Risk Management Division to determine if our liability coverage at the American Legion includes theft. I am not aware that it does but it never hurts to ask.

Unfortunately, when commuters are parking on private property, such as the American Legion or Springfield Plaza, the County cannot install permanent lighting facilities, as we are leasing the property for joint-use and do not have the authority to improve the facility. At the
Circuit City site, which is an "informal" use by commuters for pickup purposes, the County neither provides liability insurance nor leasing costs for use of the space. I fear that once the property is sold, commuters will be prohibited from staging at that location; thus, may need to move the slug line to another area.

I will contact you further regarding liability coverage.

Dottie Cousineau
Fairfax County
DOT
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2003 at 3:12pm
Regarding liability at the commuter lots, the following was sent from the Fairfax County Risk Management Office:

The policy is a general liability policy. It does not cover robbery per se. The policy would apply only if the person involved claimed that the insured had done something or failed to do something which resulted in the robbery. If that is not the case, the person might want to take a look at their homeowner’s policy as that might provide some coverage. If they do wish to present a claim, we need to report this to the insurance company.

gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2003 at 3:55pm
Dear Admin,

Can you provide more details from the victim? That is, was the lot well lit, what time in the evening did this occur, estimated number of cars in the lot at that time, etc.

Thank you.

gg
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2003 at 11:25am
quote:
Originally posted by gg
[br]Dear Admin,

Can you provide more details from the victim? That is, was the lot well lit, what time in the evening did this occur, estimated number of cars in the lot at that time, etc.

Thank you.

gg

Sure, I will get in contact with the victim and get the details.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2003 at 4:05pm
More to follow but here are a few more details she sent as of 8 Jan 03:

"If at all possible, I'd like to amend my notice in regard to the robbery.

I forgot to mention that the robber was running from the street in the direction of the American Legion Veterans Post Parking lLt calling out "lady, lady" (as if there were an emergency) before he approached me and asked for directions to Commerce Street. Please alert sluggers to this tactic, and remind them to be very cautious when walking to and from the American Legion Veterans Post lot."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic