Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robbery Attempt at Potomac Mills

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robbery Attempt at Potomac Mills
    Posted: 14 Jan 2003 at 8:57am
Everyone PLEASE be cautious in the commuter lots because there is a man who has attempted two robberies in the past two weeks. First an attempt was made in the American Legion Commuter Lot about two weeks ago and today, a very similiar method (possibly the same guy) attempted a robbery at Potomac Mills. Here is the email I just received:

"January 14, 2003

Good morning. I slug out of Potomac Mills in Virginia. I got into line this morning at 6:25. A fellow slug was in front of me was very upset. She went on to explain a robbery attempt was made against her as she got out of her car just a few minutes ago. A man approched her asking for directions. She said he appeared to be very nice. He then attempted to take her bag from her. Luckily she was smoking a cigarette and burned him in the face. When he did not get what he was after he left in a small white old car.

Can you please post this. It is of the upmost importance that all of our fellow sluggers are made aware of this and can be on the lookout as they enter and leave their car."
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2003 at 1:27pm
More importantly, have the PWC police been notified? Given this and the vandalism/theft incidents at the expanded Horner lot, where is the increased police presence that has been promised in the past?

- Will
Patricia View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2003 at 11:26am
I spoke to this woman this morning that is mentioned in Admin's message. She said that PWC was notified, and that 3 other woman had been victimized in the Potomac Mills lot while headed to work. The perpetrator was successul in stealing their belonging and fleaing the scene. As a woman who arrives at this lot during the time frame in question, I feel the PWC should have an officer on site for a period of time.

Everyone should take a few minutes and write down all pertinent information of all belongings in their bags, i.e credit card numbers and contact info, description of purse/bag contents, etc. Also have extra set of keys handy. God forbid, you could be next...be cautious and prepared.

Patricia
Stafford/610
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2003 at 3:21pm
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Forms/sp-248.pdf
Monbe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 7:55am
I agree with KaTaNa. For years I worked in a hospital Emergency Room. I can't tell you how many women came in with severe injuries because they would not give up their purse. Numerous women had knives and other such weapons taken from them and then used on them. As awful as it is to have your belongings taken from you, it is NEVER worth risking your life. Much better to take the type of self-defense class that demonstrates the best chances of avoidance of crimes, how best to protect yourself, and how to describe and identify anyone you may witness committing a crime. Although the overwhelming majority of the victims were women, men should heed the same advice.

quote:
Originally posted by KaTaNa
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by tlschau
[br]http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Forms/sp-248.pdf

That's a bit extreme. Don't you know how many of these get turned on their "responsible" owners? Get a grip![:(!]

KaylaN View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaylaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 9:38am
This really isn't a topic that belongs on this message board I don't think, as it could strike up a sticky debate that could get ugly. However, I will say this: While I don't endorse everybody just running out and grabbing a gun and a permit, since a weapon the clutches of the untrained become 50 times more dangerous, I feel that if someone has the proper training and a permit, there is nothing wrong with carrying what you like if it makes you feel safer. Holders of concealed carry permits go through extensive background checks (better than someone at INS, one could argue) and are not likely to flip out and go "postal." Carrying a gun does not make someone dangerous, if properly trained. Training is also easy and readily available. There are only four rules to remember when handling a firearm. As long as you follow the four rules, you are fine.

Safety means something different to everybody and is important to all. And, at least for the time being, we still are afforded our 2nd amendment right. If carrying for protection is something that makes you feel safer, you shouldn't have to feel bad for doing so.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 3:27pm
The above writers are on track about training and hand guns. I have taught Taekwondo for many years and have trained many women in the art of self defense. However a trained person with a hand gun is a deadly combination. Just keep up to date on training and hit the firing range several times a year!
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 4:12pm
As I responded on another topic, I was simply trying to make the following points:

"I'm not advocating vigilantism nor making threats, in fact I disagree with it because it makes you no better than the criminals themselves. What I am advocating, however, is that we all must do our part to protect ourselves instead of waiting for someone else to do it for us. We all have the right, and in fact an obligation, to self preservation. Law enforcement is great, but it can't be everywhere."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic