Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gangbangers taking over old 610 slug line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gangbangers taking over old 610 slug line
    Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 8:30am
Around 6 a.m., Monday, 6 Feb 2009, at the old 610 slug line as I approached the slug line there were two people who joined within seconds of my getting at the end of the line. Both African American, one an older female and the other a young male (early 20s at best).
What happened next reminded me of "in da hood" gangbanger mentality of the 'Generation Y' troop who demand respect without showing any in return. This young African American male wearing butt draggers, a white hoody and a pair of $200 tennies, was making every effort to jump the line. When I asked him if he understood the slugging rules he just copped an attitude and started getting mouthy. He was not standing in line like everyone else but toe to toe with me. Don't assume I'm a jerk about who you stand in line. Some people do stand one step to the left or right of the person in front of them. And if you are talking with someone then of course you could stand toe to toe with them. But jumping the line and then standing toe to toe with someone who challenges you on slugging rules is another issue. Now I'm about twice this kids age and have been slugging since 2000. I even did an ethnography for my masters in communication course on slugging. So I'm no stranger to the slug line and the rules.
What alarmed me most is the wimp mentality of the other slugs who allow such behavior to exist in the first place. I know people who work in our public schools and they are scared to even address this kind of attitude for fear of retribution. It is prominant in our middle schools and grade schools too. If this punk wants to swing at me or anyone else then let him spend some time in jail to cool off. That is his choice. But if slugging is going to continue to work then those who have been doing this for the past eight to ten years need to enforce the rules or cowardly stand by as these Gen Y punks take over the lots with their gangbanger mentality.
I'm sure this young man is just in a huge hurry to get to his classes at Howard Univ. or some other institution that seems to enforce the attitude that "White Man Rules" don't apply to them anymore since we have a African American as President. Do I sound prejudice? Not the least bit. You see, the negative demeanor and attitude of a person is what is I find offensive, not the color of their skin. You can't choice how you are born concerning a certain class, race, creed, gender or color, but you do have control over the attitude and behavior you have toward others. Sadly it is a learned response. Bill Cosby has caught heat about this very issue.
Funny thing is that I don't have a problem letting anyone go ahead of me to include this young man. If he's that much of a hurry to get to work, be my guest. But I can't speak for the rest of the slug line and it is his "demand respect -- gangbanger attitude" that must be checked. If not by the collective then next time I will call 9-11 and put in a public disturbance request. I do plan to talk with the Sheriff about this and see what actions can be taken in the future.
In the meantime, perhaps an older brother should speak to the younge brothers about how the rest of working class America operates regardless of who you are. You earn respect, not demand it and actions do speak louder than words.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 12:26pm
"...perhaps an older brother should speak to the younge brothers about how the rest of working class America operates regardless of who you are."

Cmahn, seems like you had an opportune time to "speak to a younger brother", and didn't take it. [:0]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic