Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5/15/09 LATEST NEWS AT SPRINGFIELD PLAZA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggintime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5/15/09 LATEST NEWS AT SPRINGFIELD PLAZA
    Posted: 18 May 2009 at 11:35am
Hello commuters,

Unless we all start campaigning heavily for something to be done very soon for our loss of 70+ spaces at Springfield Plaza in January, we will continue to have an overabundance of drivers after 7:30am and it is a shame over 100+ drivers/riders have to find an alternative way to get into the city - obviously adding to the already over congested roadways. Below is an email I received FRIDAY MAY 15th - from Mark Thomas - Staff Aide to Chairman Sharon Bulova office - Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. His phone # is: 703-324-2321

Our current situation will not change unless we all reach out (Please call Chairman Bulova's office!) and ask for some concrete assistance to find more local parking until the bigger picture unfolds which could be another 2-3 years. It's disappointing that nothing has been done since January and we have no feedback whatsoever from our local elected officials with any solutions.

I would like to hear from you with any advice and would like to start some unified front - please email me at: sluggintime@aol.com. I drive and ride and hear from many of you that since January the system is not as convenient anymore and it is time we get it back to working full capacity for everyone's benefit.

thank you - kevin

Here is the email that was sent to me on Friday 5/15/08

I am sorry it has taken me as long as it has to get this information to you. I thought I had sent it previously, and the county is interested in supporting groups that are working to reduce commute times and cut down on traffic.

Please find the attached map of the parking currently available near the Springfield Plaza lot. There is parking available at two sites south of Old Keene Mill Road.

I also wanted to point out this news article from earlier this week to you: http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=328493&paper=72&cat=104. The county is in the process of negotiating with the state to get more commuter parking in the Springfield Plaza area through the construction of the High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes. As the name suggests, these new lanes should promote car pooling and providing parking will encourage more people to ride together.

Sincerely,

Mark Thomas

Staff Aide to Chairman Sharon Bulova
Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
703-324-2321
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 4:03pm
If Chelsea's goes out of business (formerly Bob's/Shoney's/Al's Place) and the Chi Chi's remains empty, the FFX Bd. should be encouraged to buy those properties, raze the bldgs, repave/restripe them to create two more commuter lots in Springfield.

The FFX Bd. should approach the two shopping centers on Braddock Rd (University and the shopping center across from the Wakefield Recreation Center) to encourage those shopping centers to set aside spaces for commuters and have that be the pickup/dropoff point for riders and drivers wanting to access the I495 carpool lanes.

What should NOT be allowed is adding a 3rd destination (I495 carpool line) to the Circuit City lot in Springfield. There are enough problems with cars trying to enter/exit that lot now and it contains only two DC routes - 14th St. or Memorial Bridge. There is no room for a 3rd line to meet at that lot.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic