Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reading While Driving (RWD) - (Recovered)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reading While Driving (RWD) - (Recovered)
    Posted: 04 Mar 2003 at 5:54am
(Recoverd file from corrupted database - admin)

Yesterday, I rode with a women who insisted on reading through her messages in her palm pilot while she was driving . At one point, she had to slam on breaks to avoid rear-ending the car in front of her (because her head was down - eyes focused on the screen of the palm pilot). I know this board is full of etiquette tips for slugging and I'd just like to add one more. Please do not try to read anything other than the street/highway signs while you have passengers in your vehicle.

Thanks!

AngelaYoung

Arbo
Advanced Member

103 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 16:02:40
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE HERE!!

mirangus
Average Member

48 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 16:47:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unbelieveable!! What a lack of common sense, let alone common courtesy! Never thought I'd see THAT complaint here!!

artplyn
Average Member

43 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2003 : 08:55:15

That is definitely a first. I think I would have to ask the driver to discontinue the reading. (easier to say than to do) Of all the safety related issues presented, I think this one is the most serious. All the specifics about this driver should be posted so others can avoid the problem.

angelayoung520@hotmail.co
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2003 : 09:53:13

Specifics about the driver (my hope is that this was not a usual practice for her, but you never know).

She was driving a mid-sized champagne-colored car, possibly a Lincoln Continental or Jaguar - fairly new model. Our route was to 18th Street that morning (not sure if that's her regular route). I remember her having an 'ear-length bob' hairstyle (with medium brown hair).

Hope this helps!

Angela

gg
Senior Member Member

55 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2003 : 15:00:20

I remember a couple of years ago riding with a deaf driver who read while driving. He held a text messaging device at the top of the steering wheel, used his thumbs to type type in messages and held onto the wheel with his fingers. I did not feel that my safety was compromised because he appeared to be adept at doing this but it would have been obviously safer if he kept two hands on the wheel. I am more concerned with drivers who can't focus on driving while talking a mile a minute or drivers who go into a mind fog and almost rear ends others.

gg

tlschau
Average Member

47 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2003 : 10:25:50

Please add to the "do not ride with list" at:

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=312

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic