Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked95/395 HOT project delayed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95/395 HOT project delayed
    Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 12:30pm
Check out the article in today's Post at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/17/AR2009081702157.html

Thank goodness someone had the sense to put the brakes on this project, the biggest case of highway robbery I have seen in years.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 4:32am
http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=30&sid=1744196

n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 2:28pm
Here is the response from Del. Nichols:

I wanted to give you a quick update on an issue I have been passionately following and fighting against in Richmond, the I-95/395 HOT Lanes. I know you care deeply about this issue since you have signed my petition to block the lanes on I-95/395.

Virginia Secretary of Transportation Pierce Homer announced that after public pressure and sketchy financing that VDOT will not be signing a contract for High Occupancy Toll lanes on I-95/395 as expected.

The plan called for the existing HOV-3 lanes to be turned over to a foreign company who would add an extra lane inside the existing guardrails in exchange for the ability to toll the road. These lanes would allow individuals to pay a fee for the privilege of driving in the current HOV-3 lanes. Many local commuters who use the current
HOV-3 lanes fear that the HOT lanes would destroy the area's unique "slug" system.

In 2008 and 2009, I introduced the only legislation to block HOT lanes on I-95/395 and this delay will give me another opportunity to introduce it in the 2010 General Assembly. However, I am still working to build public support for my legislation.

If you know commuters or concerned citizens who care about blocking these lanes please direct them to my website at http://delegatenichols.com/StopHOTLanes and sign my online petition to Governor Kaine in opposition to these lanes. Hundreds of people in the 51st district and throughout Virginia have signed it already and this has helped contribute to this delay.

Now is time to keep the fight going, please help send me back to Richmond so I continue to lead the charge against HOT Lanes.

Proponents of the HOT Lanes like Speaker Bill Howell are supporting my opponent in this upcoming election, and will do everything in their power to make sure I do not go back to Richmond. If you could make a contribution to my campaign, it would go a long way in ensuring that I can continue my fight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic