Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOT Lanes Update from Delegate Paul Nichols

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOT Lanes Update from Delegate Paul Nichols
    Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 11:29am
The following broadcast email was sent from Delegate Paul Nichols:

I wanted to give you a quick update on an issue I have been passionately following and fighting against in Richmond, the I-95/395 HOT Lanes. I know you care deeply about this issue since you have signed my petition to block the lanes on I-95/395.

Virginia Secretary of Transportation Pierce Homer announced that after public pressure and sketchy financing that VDOT will not be signing a contract for High Occupancy Toll lanes on I-95/395 as expected.

The plan called for the existing HOV-3 lanes to be turned over to a foreign company who would add an extra lane inside the existing guardrails in exchange for the ability to toll the road. These lanes would allow individuals to pay a fee for the privilege of driving in the current HOV-3 lanes. Many local commuters who use the current HOV-3 lanes fear that the HOT lanes would destroy the area's unique "slug" system.

In 2008 and 2009, I introduced the only legislation to block HOT lanes on I-95/395 and this delay will give me another opportunity to introduce it in the 2010 General Assembly. However, I am still working to build public support for my legislation. If you know commuters or concerned citizens who care about blocking these lanes please direct them to my website at http://delegatenichols.com/StopHOTLanes and sign my online petition to Governor Kaine in opposition to these lanes. Hundreds of people in the 51st district and throughout Virginia have signed it already and this has helped contribute to this delay.

Now is time to keep the fight going, please help send me back to Richmond so I continue to lead the charge against HOT Lanes. Proponents of the HOT Lanes like Speaker Bill Howell are supporting my opponent in this upcoming election, and will do everything in their power to make sure I do not go back to Richmond. If you could make a contribution to my campaign, it would go a long way in ensuring that I can continue my fight.

Thanks

Delegate Paul Nichols

30YearSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30YearSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 1:00pm
[:o)]
If the regular lanes single person Non-Slugging drivers want HOT lanes. Why doesn't VDOT add this HOT lane to the regular highway lanes with restiction Diamonds painted in this lane as a HOT lane only and KEEP OUT OF OUR HOV LANES. I see the HOV lanes towards Richmond has this done for HOV Lanes and this would keep our HOV lanes as they are and as they have been for over 35 years.
Flyby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:56am
Thank you kindly Delegate Nichols for your work in our behalf on this important issue. By the way, would you happen to know where Delegate Albo stood on this matter? Anytime I've contacted him on HOV matters I get the drift that he couldn't care less about my concerns.

Flyby
Get to Work View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get to Work Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 11:11am
What is the current (meaning February 2011) status of the HOT lanes for I-95/395? I hear they are coming, but when are they coming and how much are they charging people?

I am not a fan of this idea at all. Makes me want to move.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 5:48pm
FYI. Three web sites with Jan/Feb 2011 info:

http://www.arlnow.com/2011/01/21/richmond-bites-back-on-hot-lanes-by-blocking-tax-bill/

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virginiapolitics/2011/01/del_hugo_holding_up_arlington.html

http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2011/sb1048/

Evergreen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 3:52pm
Virginia Advances New I-95 HOV/HOT Lanes Project and New Ramp to Seminary Road at Mark Center:

http://virginiahotlanes.com/i95/project-info/Connaughton.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic