Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

234 Expansion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsera88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 234 Expansion
    Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 6:53am
I am trying to find out if there anything out there that shows what the lot expansion will look like when it is done. Does anyone know if there is anything out there like this? Thanks.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 8:18am
While I too am curious as to what it will look like, was it really necessary for the bold,50 size font?

CJ
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 4:12pm
Well I hope it is totally huge cause they are spending $6.2 million on it.

Knowing their track record here in Springfield, I dont have a lot of confidence.
B-O-B Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-O-B Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 12:25pm
New entrance from Rt 1 with drainage pond near entrace.

Run old lot to east -- thats about it. Leaves part of the old hill area unused to reserve space for eventual rt 1 flyover, I believe. More than double the lot.

Not enough. PWC needs to expand Horner Road lot into old PRTC facility on other side of Telegraph Road.

Plan may be in PWC.org highway site. However, the guys at the site were thrilled to share a look at the plan with me.

pikomanu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikomanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 7:24am
As noted above the details on the project can be found at the PWC site http://www.pwcgov.org/eservices/qpr/InetDetail.asp?ProjId=556

According to the project details the new configuration will provide approximately 490 additional spaces for a cost of ~$6.1M

They predict that the project will be substantially complete by November 2009. They are apparently still considering the provision of a traffic signal at the entrance of the lot off of Rte 234, and a separate right turn lane, as well as, a shared use path along Rte. 1.

Map of new lot design can be seen at the following link
http://www.pwcgov.org/eservices/qpr/getImage.asp?id=2559

***for some reason the links don't work when you click them but if you cut and paste the web address into your browser the pages should come up fine***
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 9:40am
I'm betting that afternoon drivers will not want to wait for the left turn onto Rte 1 and then for another left turn through backed up Southbound traffic; that new entrance will be unused in the evenings except by folks driving out.

Also, the 1 and 234 intersection is a notorious bottleneck on Fridays. People will use the lot as a bypass to get over to 234 when traveling south.

So, 490 spaces, or about 1 space for every 500 new homes built in PWC since the last commuter lot was created.

And really sad to note that this lot replaces the old Dumfries International Airport! O Progress, thy sting is deep!
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 12:48pm
Yeah at at 490 spots that is only $12,448.97 per spot for the construction.

Real question is will this lot fill up, or will it sit empty and unused like the backlick lot.

CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 4:01pm
The lot will fill up, it's just an extension of the one that is already well used. I am pretty disappointed they decided not use the light at Wayside and Route 1 for a second exit. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

CJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic