Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Emergency Vehicles" in HOV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Emergency Vehicles" in HOV
    Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 10:55am
Does anyone know what the definition of an emergency vehicle is for the purpose of the HOV[?]

I recently sent a comment to VA State Police about the inordinate number of SOV in the lanes. They said that "emergency vehicles" are permitted. My issue is, why is a DC or MD unmarked police car or apparently anyone who puts a blue flashing light on their dash allowed to use HOV for their daily commutes?
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 7:11am
From http://virginiadot.org/travel/hov-rulesfaq.asp

"4. Emergency vehicles (fire, ambulance, rescue) and law enforcement vehicles are exempt. Public utility vehicles are permitted to use HOV lanes when responding to emergency calls."

colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:30pm
There are a ton of cops who commute in their work vehicles in order to use HOV lanes.

It is a violation, it is wrong. If you are a slug, write down their tags and call the appropriate jusrisdiction.
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 7:22pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE

From http://virginiadot.org/travel/hov-rulesfaq.asp

"4. Emergency vehicles (fire, ambulance, rescue) and law enforcement vehicles are exempt. Public utility vehicles are permitted to use HOV lanes when responding to emergency calls."

sluDgE:

I have seen this before. My real question is what meets these requirements? If you are a volunteer firefighter on nights and weekends and a have a blue light you can put on your dash does that qualify your car as an emergency vehicle? I don't think so! If you are a DC cop and commuting to work are you entitled to use HOV? Not in my opinion!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 1:26pm
smithma,

I don't know the answer to your question.
It seems like a clarification on emergency and law enforcement vehicle HOV use is something that should be asked of VDOT who publishes the rules, or of the State Police who enforce them.

As I read it, I think exemption #4 says that public utility vehicles (power, water, and gas company vehicles) are exempt from the HOV restrictions only when they are responding to emergency calls. The exemption appears to treat them differently (exempts them only when they are responding to emergency calls) than the fire, ambulance, rescue, and law enforcement vehicles mentioned in the first sentence of the same exemption. Exemption #4 does not appear to place a restriction on when fire, ambulance, rescue, and law enforcement vehicles can use the HOV lanes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic