Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horner Road (Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2003 at 12:50am
The slug lines are GREAT!!! [:D] I am new to slugging and I love the system but would like to see some changes to improve the morning pick-up for pentagon/rosslyn slug line. Most mornings when I arrive there is a long line of cars waiting to pick up and a long line of slugs waiting. I have waited 15+ minutes on several occasions to pick up riders just because things move so slow.
I applaude the pioneers who split the DC/VA lines but I think there is still work to be done in order to get the VA line moving faster. Walking the line does help things move faster as long as riders call out the destinations and as long as it is safe for the riders to walk among the cars.

I can reiterate some good suggestions I have read here but it will take a veteran slugger to implement successful change:
1. cars should pull all the way forward to the end of the island when they pick up and the slug line direction should form accordingly like at the pentagon.
2. If it is possible to work out the logistics of another location then splitting the VA into 2 lines would be helpful.
3. Maybe we could get signs posted after new location(s) are established, that would help everyone.

I think that each of us can be part of the problem or part of the solution. I don't arrive early enough to establish anything new but I would be willing to help work on the sign issue.[:)]
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 7:05am
Alexis,
All great suggestions. We've tried to get signs put up in the past but VDOT takes a real hands-off approach to supporting slugging (but gladly enjoys the benefits it brings). Arlington County and the Pentagon have been the greatest supporter and did put up some signs to help organize slugging.

Splitting the VA line again may be the way to go. The problem will be where to put the new line without creating a hazard. Horner is a huge lot so I can see where a third line would be beneficial.

Or, would splitting the line even be necessary if there wasn't cheaters? If so, it will take the slugging community to help enforce the rules and existing lines otherwise, creating a new line will only create problems.
OkieinDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OkieinDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 8:57pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]Alexis,
All great suggestions. We've tried to get signs put up in the past but VDOT takes a real hands-off approach to supporting slugging (but gladly enjoys the benefits it brings). Arlington County and the Pentagon have been the greatest supporter and did put up some signs to help organize slugging.

Splitting the VA line again may be the way to go. The problem will be where to put the new line without creating a hazard. Horner is a huge lot so I can see where a third line would be beneficial.

Or, would splitting the line even be necessary if there wasn't cheaters? If so, it will take the slugging community to help enforce the rules and existing lines otherwise, creating a new line will only create problems.

OkieinDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OkieinDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 9:18pm
The problems I have noticed at Horner Rd many times are people not being considerate of others. Today was a classic example, a lady ahead of me had already started walking the line, so I followed her and we both realized we were going to Crystal City. We reached the intersection where cars entered the lot, and due to safety reasons we chose to wait there until the cars moved up. After the cars moved up a dark haired male with his hair allslicked back jumped ahead of into a car that was going to Crystal City. I know he was aware he cut in front of us, because he turned around to us and indicated they needed one more. I think the only reason he acknowledged us then was because he needed one of us to enable the driver to take them to his destination. He was rude and none of the rules or extra lines will fix that problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]Alexis,

cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2003 at 12:51pm
Hey everyone...I am a newbie and this is my first post!

I love slugging and really am thankful for how much time and money it saves me each week.

I usually slug from Horner Road to Rosslyn (preferred) or Pentagon if no Rosslyn lines are available.

Anyway, this morning at Rosslyn the drivers were a little...ahem....out of control. I usually arrive around 7:30 so I park at the front of the north "tail" that goes back into the woods. The line for cars wasn't even that long, and three drivers asked me for a ride!

I really believe this is unfair to drivers that are waiting in line, and it makes the parking lot much more busy and potentially unsafe. Please, fellow riders, let's give rides to those drivers that are playing by the rules.

[:)]
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2003 at 12:53pm
TYPO: "this morning at Rosslyn" should read "this morning at Horner" [:)]
godsvdu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godsvdu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2003 at 2:49pm
Why can't people walk the line????? They wait 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes longer, to get a car. It makes the whole process of slugging useless. It's about saving time!!!! Take that walk and make life easier for ALL of us!!!!

SOUBI
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 9:36am
More out of control drivers at Horner this morning.

When pulling into the lot from Prince William Parkway, I usually take the right line because to bypass the waiting drivers.

Well, this morning someone was in the right lane stopping and soliciting slugs who were parking along the access road...so we had to stop every ten yards while they tried to take other people's slugs!

A little frustrating...I wish there was someway to combat drivers who don't respect the system.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic