Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Rosslyn location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rosslyn location
    Posted: 11 Mar 2002 at 12:31pm
I just checked out the new location for the Rosslyn line. There are pros and cons. It offers very easy access to I-66 and seems to be a safe place for boarding vehicles. On the other hand, it is a bit of a hike from Metro and is kind of desolate. A major plus is that this location is officially sanctioned by the County of Arlington, and they should be commended for their vision and commitment to supporting alternate forms of commuting. All factors considered, this is a change I can live with and I intend to start spreading the word right away.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2002 at 1:06pm
I agree that it does look like a workable area. My main concern right now with the logistics of moving the line is that someone better start handing out fliers very soon because this is very short notice, especially for the drivers who tend to not use this website as much as slugs. Since it looks like we are serious about this, all slugs better start telling the drivers or it will be mass confusion next Monday. Without good communication, here is what will happen: slugs in two locations and no rides in the new location.

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2002 at 3:43pm
I'm glad to hear there is support for this line moving. You're correct in that it's not as close to the Metro as before, but hopefully it will work better. Arlington County Commuter Assistance Program is creating a flyer and should have it ready by Tuesday or early Wednesday. I will post it on the website for everyone to view/print/download. If everyone will help spread the word hopefully this will be a smooth transition. Also, the police are going to help direct slugs and cars to the new location.

I'll keep everyone posted as info comes available!!

David

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2002 at 9:30am
A few of us have already printed the new slug-lines.com map and are distributing it to other riders and drivers. The important thing is to get the message to the drivers so they know where to go next week. It is every slug's responsibility to let the drivers know about the move. Look at it this way: if you want the driver to be there to give you a ride home next week, you'd better let them know where you are going to be. When you get a ride to Rosslyn in the morning you need to inform that driver as well. Let's all push to get the word out to every slug and every driver.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2002 at 10:31am
I just looked at the map. It looks like the slug lines will be to the left as cars pull up on N Moore. Seems like it would be safer and more convenient to have the slugs line up to the right(??). Keep in mind that you dont want slugs crossing a street if it can be set up the other way.

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2002 at 12:44pm
Bob,

The slug lines are not on N Moore at all - they are on the service road between N Fort Myer and N Moore. A car going down N Moore would have to go left on 19th St then right on Fort Myer and right again on the service road. I hope the promised brochures have good directions for both drivers and slugs or mass confusion will reign next week.

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2002 at 1:08pm
mycroftt,

There is NO right turn on Fort Myer there, as Ft. Myer Dr. is one-way! The access/counterflow road begins in mid-block on 19th Street, right in front of the entrance to 1901 N. Ft. Myer. You then pass around the First Virginia Bank, with the road running down to the Route 29 side of the two buildings (1901 & 1911 N. Ft. Myer). Unfortunately, the map on this website isn't all that well drawn in that respect. The only potential difficulty I see is that cars departing the slug line and headed to get out to go down the ramp toward 110 will be crossing anyone coming off of 29 and onto the access/counterflow road (for example if they're headed for Moore Street & the Metro).

It is not clear from the map which side of the access road the pickups will be, but I agree that being on the right side of the road ought to be safest.

- Eric.

Patricia View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2002 at 2:07pm
I've printed the new rosslyn line location map and will distribute it to slugs and drivers between now and Monday. I can't wait to see the brochure because I'm a little confused about the new location after reading all the comments in this forum. Hopefully, things will go smoothly on Monday. I'm going to get to the line a little earlier than normal just in case it takes longer than normal.

Patricia
Tackett's/Rosslyn lines
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic