Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What if there is terrible traffic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wvuguy2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if there is terrible traffic?
    Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 10:38am
I'm an occasional driver in the slug lines. Maybe once or twice a week when my activities take me downtown.
I've found myself contemplating this question...
If there is a significant traffic delay on 95, (IE something beyond the regular congestion, those truly serious things that happen maybe once every couple of months)what is the procedure for deciding upon an alternate route?
As the driver, do I make the ultimate decision? To what degree should I consult with the passengers in my vehicle? How bad should it be before we think about alternate routes?
Thanks!
SuTaRiCh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuTaRiCh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:16am
I am a sometime passenger. There was one time when I was in a car heading down to Rte 17 and traffic got TERRIBLE just north of the exit north of where we were going. The driver mumbled something. I asked if he knew "the back way" from the next exit. The other passenger said, "oh, yeah, you oughta know how to do that". So we kind of made a group decision to bail and educated the driver in the process.

Another time we hit what I considered to be "the usual backup". The driver bailed over to Rte 1 for a while, then got back on to 95. No consultation. He just went. I thought he was just really being a Type A, but hey, he was driving, so I didn't care that much.

And we've debated within the car on the "get off at 234 or stick it out to the merge" on several occasions.

I think as the driver you have ultimate say. But a consultation is probably sensible, especially since your passengers might know an option you are unaware of, but are loathe to suggest it themselves.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 9:11am
Try falling asleep as a slug and waking up rolling through a cemetary...

I slug to 610, on quite a few occasions when traffic was bad after the end of the merge drivers have decided to take the Quantico short cut...I've driven through the cemetary, and one time the driver flashed his military ID to cut through the base, I believe it was the last fed. work day before Christmas...it was a gorgeous scenic route.

I feel its nice when the driver has the courtesy to say s/he is taking an alternate route, but ultimately, it is their decision.
pikomanu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikomanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 12:41pm
I had an interesting one last Friday. As you are well aware it was brutal down at the merge. We were getting off at the 234 exit and it was backed up easy half mile+ on the HOV lanes to get off. We sat in the line for about 20 minutes, when finally the driver mumbled something about being low on gas. He pulled out and drove the shoulder all the way down the ramp, past the truck scales and to the 234 exit. I'm surprised he didn't get nabbed. I won't complain as it probably saved me 30 minutes off my ride home. But I was just in awe of how blatantly this guy had no regard whatsoever just flying past the bumper-to-bumper stopped traffic!
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 8:07am
I'm pretty sure I saw that car pass us in the HOV, riding the side of the road like he was a cop or ambulance.

Motorcyclists do it too, not all, but some.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic