Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tackett's Mill U-turns?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bamboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tackett's Mill U-turns?
    Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:12pm
I pick up and drop folks off regularly at Tackett's Mill and am wondering about the legality of driver's making u-turns in the main road coming into the lot in the am and the pm. I for one do not think it is legal to make a u-turn anywhere in that portion of the lot and therefore make the proper right turn to go through the parking area and then a right turn back out onto the main road of the lot. However, I am finding that people coming into the lot in the am are going to where the road curves, making a u-turn therefore cutting me off and cutting in front of me in the line to pick-up slugs. I have also had instances in the pm where folks are making u-turns where the buses turn in to pick people up and end up blocking the right lane out, because the left lane is backed up.

So, what say you people in slug-line land? If the u-turns are legal I will swallow it, but continue to do as I have been and cut through where the parking spaces are, but if it is actually illegal, then I will plead with driver's on here that utilize the lot to please obey the proper traffic laws.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 7:09am
It appears that U-turns in parking lots are legal (or at least not specifically addressed in Virginia law).
The Virginia Code contains the following on U-Turns:

QUOTE:
§ 46.2-845. Limitation on U-turns.
The driver of a vehicle within cities, towns or business districts of counties shall not turn his vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction except at an intersection.
No vehicle shall be turned so as to proceed in the opposite direction on any curve, or on the approach to or near the crest of a grade, where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of any other vehicle approaching from any direction within 500 feet.
(Code 1950, § 46-230; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-214; 1989, c. 727.) UNQUOTE

Bamboo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bamboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 8:57pm
Thank you for the info Sludge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic